M14 Canvas Mag Pouches For BM59 Magazines

TopN

Let me start by saying BM59 Mag Pouches are one of my Pet Peeves.

Now the Rant.

I have been trying, with no luck, to find out what kind of Magazine Pouches were issued with BM59s. By any Country. Anywhere. At Anytime.

The only answers I get from people in the U.S. is "I Don't Know" or "I use BAR Pouches".

From Italy I have been told "British Web Gear", "British P37 or P58 stuff" or U.S. M14 Pouches, and, of course, the all time favorite - "I Don't Know".

I find it hard to believe a NATO member wouldn't have their own Magazine Pouches for what was their primary, all services, rifle for 12 years & a secondary weapon for a least the next 20 years. Between New Manufacture & M1 conversions, they must have had well in excess of 1/2 million (I have demilled Beretta BM59 T.A. receiver dated 1969 ser.no. 182075). Even if they used British or American PATTERN Pouches, they certainly would have made them in Italy. And all Italian canvas/web gear I've seen is very distinctive - made of loosely woven, thin material (should I say cheap?) when compared to U.S. or Brit stuff. So where are all the pouches?

O.K. Rant Over, on to the U.S. M14 Magazine Pouches.

The U.S. Army had two different M14 2 Magazine Canvas Pouches -

The 1st was marked "Pouch, Small Arms, Ammunition, Universal" on the inside of the cover.

The 2nd was marked "Case, Small Arms Ammunition" on the inside of the cover.

Now the fun part - both have the same FSN (8465-647-0852), and were interchangable to the Army, but not for us, the BM59 people.

I have 3 "Pouch, Small Arms, Ammunition, Universal" & all will accept 2 loaded BM59 Mags & the covers will close, although they are a tight fit in all dimentions.

But my 6 "Case, Small Arms Ammunition" are all too short in height for the cover to close (by 1/4" or more) with 2 Empty Mags, although they will hold 1 tipped. And they have extra space, side to side (width)

The Pouch, Small Arms, Ammunition, Universal is the earlier issue. Mine are dated Sept 1959, Mar 1960, & April 1960.

I have attached 2 photos. Each has a "Pouch, Small Arms, Ammunition, Universal" & "Case, Small Arms Ammunition" in it.

The only difference I can see on the outside is that all my "Pouch, Small Arms, Ammunition, Universal" have a Grommet in the Cover Closer Tab & none of my "Case, Small Arms Ammunition" have a Grommet in that position.

The U.S. on the front varies with the Maker, so that's no help.

If anyone out there has either or both of the above pouches, please check it out with 2 Mags & let me know what you find. My 9 Pouches just aren't enough to say anything one way or the other.

TopN

post-56709-1279170328_thumb.jpg

post-56709-1279170443_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Attached are some pictures of a BM59 Italian mag pouch (double) that I purchased a few years ago on Italian E-Bay. They are not marked but who but the Italians could make a snap button like in the picture.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/ffl-transfers/IMG_0060.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/ffl-transfers/IMG_0056.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i236/ffl-transfers/IMG_0055.jpg

The snaps are a bitch to open, and whom ever had to do the sewing had one heck of a job

Outstanding.

Another board member sent me pictures of the same type of Pouch yesterday. He got his with a NIB BM62.

I've added a Front/Rear View of that Pouch.

Is there anyplace to slide a web belt through?

It looks like some type of Paratrooper Gear (kinda, sorta :P ) Maybe some sort of chest hook-up.

Any thoughts on how it is used?

TopN

post-56709-1279256152_thumb.jpg

TopN:

The best (and cheapest) BM59 mag pouch that I have found is the Israeli FAl pouch. I holds 2 mags easily, and closes easily, too.

I first found them as a fluke when a guy posted 2 pouches with 4 BM59 mags on eBay. I emailed him that the auction would probably be pulled, and an hour later, it was. He emailed me back, and I bought it all for his $100 starting bid.

I always thought it was better to be lucky, rather than good..............................

Hope this helps.

http://www.gunthings.com/israelimagpouch.jpg

TopN:

The best (and cheapest) BM59 mag pouch that I have found is the Israeli FAl pouch. I holds 2 mags easily, and closes easily, too.

I first found them as a fluke when a guy posted 2 pouches with 4 BM59 mags on eBay. I emailed him that the auction would probably be pulled, and an hour later, it was. He emailed me back, and I bought it all for his $100 starting bid.

I always thought it was better to be lucky, rather than good..............................

Hope this helps.

http://www.gunthings.com/israelimagpouch.jpg

Thank you for the info, I've just ordered 2. :)

TopN

• 1 year later...

Let me start by saying BM59 Mag Pouches are one of my Pet Peeves.

Now the Rant.

I have been trying, with no luck, to find out what kind of Magazine Pouches were issued with BM59s. By any Country. Anywhere. At Anytime.

The only answers I get from people in the U.S. is "I Don't Know" or "I use BAR Pouches".

From Italy I have been told "British Web Gear", "British P37 or P58 stuff" or U.S. M14 Pouches, and, of course, the all time favorite - "I Don't Know".

I find it hard to believe a NATO member wouldn't have their own Magazine Pouches for what was their primary, all services, rifle for 12 years & a secondary weapon for a least the next 20 years. Between New Manufacture & M1 conversions, they must have had well in excess of 1/2 million (I have demilled Beretta BM59 T.A. receiver dated 1969 ser.no. 182075). Even if they used British or American PATTERN Pouches, they certainly would have made them in Italy. And all Italian canvas/web gear I've seen is very distinctive - made of loosely woven, thin material (should I say cheap?) when compared to U.S. or Brit stuff. So where are all the pouches?

Confirm.

In 1992 we still had British khaki IIWW stuff.

But we used very few times in a year of service.

Never seen a "modern" mag pouch for my BM59, as the two chest pouches of my BDU were tailored to keep one BM magazine. I never had more than two magazines together during my year of service (during anti-mafia "Vespri Siciliani" mission too), so you can easily imagine that mag pouches were virtually unuseful for us.

Edited by Wotan

Yes exactly. The BDU is the SCBT Roma 74 model, in use at least until up to 1993.

post-258124-0-04132100-1334422760_thumb.jpg

Here you can see it better. It's my buddy and me leaving for an excercise. We have both a magazine each with live ammo into the chest pocket.

During excercises, squad commander corporals had a magazine with live ammo to be used to protect materials, assumed that someone external could have tried to steal something issued to the personnel, especially radios and firearms. This were precautions born during the 60/70es when in Italy there were serious problems with armed terrorism.

Edited by Wotan
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...