New Arrival

ODS9091

JUST OPENED AN E-MAIL TO FIND THE PAPER WORK FOR MY COMMERCIAL MODEL 50 HAS ARRIVED WILL TRY TO PICK IT UP THIS WEEKEND.THIS HAS BEEN A GOOD MONTH..MY SAVAGE M1 CAME IN AT THE FIRST OF THE MONTH AND NOW MY REISING. UNFORTUNATELY NEXT MONTH WON'T BE AS GOOD..TAX DEADLINE http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

Congratulations. Feels good when the wait is finally over eh?

I broke the ejector in my model 50 a while back and finally got around to sending it to Paul Hayes for repair. The Fedex truck showed up today before I left for work and dropped it off to me. Going to a local shoot in a couple days so the timing is good.

Just yesterday I sent the paperwork to Chicago for another gun. I sure am looking foreword to the day I get notified that the seller got my form 4 back.

PICKED IT UP SAT AND TOOK IT TO THE RANGE. LOTS OF FAILURE TO FEEDS FROM ALL FIVE MAGS. (3-12 & 2-20). SOMETIMES IT WOULD STOVEPIPE, SOMETIMES IT WOULD EJECT BUT NOT STRIP THE NEXT ROUND, SOMETIMES THE NEXT ROUND WOULD NOSE-DIVE. WHEN IT GOT DOWN TO THE LAST 3-5 ROUND IT WOULD RUN PERFECT. i AM GOING TO PURCHASE A SPRING SET FROM WOLLF SPRINGS TODAY, ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? IS THERE SOMEONE OUT THERE THAT TUNES UP REISINGS, LIKE PK DOES WITH THE THOMPSONS? T.I.A.

What sort of ammo are you using?

Is the gun squeeky clean but with good oil?

How do the feed lips for the mag look?

Reisings are sensitive to being dirty but should work well with decent mags. I would recomend saving the old springs, put the new recoils spring in and try shooting it again.

I have worked on a LOT of Reisings. At Armex we had them litteraly stacked like cordwood on pallets. Many of them had the stocks eaten by some sort of rather large and hungry termites.

Anyway, post the answers to the above question and lets get that gun rocking!

BOUGHT A SPRING KIT FROM WOLFF SPRINGS..INSTALLED THEM AND WENT TO THE RANGE..

USING AMERICAN COPPER COATED 230 GRAIN..AMERICAN EAGLE 230 GRAIN..AND SOME SLIGHTLY ABOVE MILD 230 GRAIN HANDLOADS..ALL ABOVE FUNCTION PERFECTLY IN MY SAVAGE M1 AND IN MY GUIDE LAMP M3,EVEN WITH THE SUPPRESSOR.

AFTER INSTALLING THE SPRING KIT I EXPERIENCED THE SAME PROBLEMS..FTF..NOSE DIVING STOVE PIPING..ETC..AS MENTIONED ABOVE.

ALL FIVE MAGS (2 -20'S 3-12'S) THEN WE STARTED WITH THE MAGAZINES. LOADED WITH 2 ROUNDS NO PROBLEMS..3-ROUND NO PROBLEMS..4 -5 ROUNDS THE PROBLEMS STARTS.SO IT SEEMS TO BE NARROWED DOWN TO THE MAGS.

NOW IT IT WEAKS MAG SPRINGS OR IS IT THAT THERE IS TOO MUCH UP PRESSURE BEING ASSERTED AGAINST THE BOLT WITH MORE THAN 5 ROUNDS AND THE RECOIL CAN'T OVERCOME THE DRAG UNTIL IT GETS DOWN TO 3-4 ROUNDS AND THEN THE RECOIL / BOLT CAN FUNCTION PROPERLY? MY NEXT EXPERIMENT IS GOING TO BE TO TAKE THE MAG SPRING OUT OF ONE OF MY 20 ROUNG THOMPSON MAGS (WHICH WORKS FINE IN THE THOMPSON) AND PLACE IT IN ONE OF THE 20 ROUND REISING MAGS. THEN I WILL START WITH 2 ROUNDS, THEN 3 ETC.. AND SEE HOW FAR I GET. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? T.I.A.

I am not so sure it is the mags

Try this:

Strip everything except the bolt out of the reciever and tilt the gun back and forth. Does the bolt slide freely with the force of gravity. If it does, then add the hammer (the other round thing) and try it again. If both slide freely with gravity, they are fine.

Next, slide the inner spring in and out of the bolt, does it bind? Do that with all the springs. Check the recoil spring guide, make sure it is smooth.

If nothing there, assemble everything and then slowly cock it, feeling for binding, then slowly ride it forward and again, feel for binding, it should be smooth.

Look at the mag catch, is it worn? I wonder if it is holding the mags high enough. Try putting something thick like a washer made from a cereal box or abouth 1/32 to 1/16 thick under the mag housing and against the stock, see if that makes a difference.

Best of luck, just whatever you do, go slow and don't start grinding.

Michael

Took it apart last night and everything slid smoothly. However I did notice some play in the mag housing, so i (ever so slightly) bent the front flange up a tee-tiny hair, it looked like is was bent down some. After doing that, and putting the housing retaining pins back in there seemed to be no play at all.Perhaps that was the problem, but who knows since the washer came off the action bar spring guide rod when I was reassembling it last night. I reckon I am going to have to call Numrich and see if I can get another one from them... I will probably get another firing pin, just in case, maybe even two....does anyone have these extra parts for sale besides Numrich...

p.s.

the action bar had cracked in the past and been welded together..do you think this might be the problem? I doubt it since it will fire FA when it gets down to 4-5 rounds.

p.p.s.

I also cut about 2-3 coils off the action bar spring hoping maybe this would help the bolt cycle further rearward as that spring compresses?!#@$

I am going to have to puzzle this one out. Some of these issues you just have to look at the gun to figure out.

As for parts, you can call John Bush at (916) 371 6900 and he has some parts, he knows the guns well but can sometimes be slow.

Paul Hayes has a lot of parts and you can get him at 513-922-0632

• 3 weeks later...

GOT MY NEW SPRING GUIDE FRIDAY AND INSTALLED IT IMMEDIATELY.

WENT TO THE RANGE SATURDAY AND IT RAN BEAUTIFULLY THIS TIME WITH BOTH 20 ROUNDERS, ONLY ONE F.T.F. THE 12 ROUNDERS WERE A DIFFERENT STORY....ONE I COULDN'T GET TO WORK WELL AT ALL THE OTHER TWO WORK FAIRLY WELL BUT STILL SEVERAL F.T.F., BUT IT STILL RAN A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN IT DID LAST TIME.

DIFFERENCES:

1) BENT THE MAG WELL LIPS UP, SO WHEN I DROVE IN THE RETAINING PINS IT FORCED THE HOUSING TO BE TIGHT, WITH NO PLAY (THERE WAS A LITTLE BEFORE)

2) CUT ABOUT 2-3 COILS OFF ACTION BAR SPRING.

LOOKING AT THE MAGS THERE SEEMS TO BE ABOUT 1/16" DIFFERENCE IN THE LOCATION OF THE MAG RETAINING HOLE BETWEEN ALL FIVE MAGS. IT SEEMS TO BE THE MOST OFF ON THE 12 ROUNDER THAT I COULDN'T GET TO WORK WELL AT ALL. MAYBE THIS WAS THE PROBLEM ALL ALONG?

WHO KNOWS, BUT I WILL CONTINUE TO TINKER A LITTLE HERE AND THERE WITH IT. THANKS TO EVERYONE WITH ALL THERE SUGGESTIONS.