FM 23-40 Manual M1928A1 TSMG 3-62

I found this really cool manual that's dated March of 1962 as being 1 of 300 reprinted, can any one help me out on this where more printed durning Vietnam war? Or is this one that rare, I am asking for the reason I would like to rebind it or should I leave as is,

Thank you,

post-259644-0-72065000-1411697935_thumb.jpg

post-259644-0-39501900-1411697959_thumb.jpg

post-259644-0-42323900-1411698000_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'd leave it as is. It may be an Army reprint for use by US advisors/trainers in the early stages of the Vietnam War and judging by it's condition was heavily used. If so, it's an artifact, and any alteration will diminish it's value.

• Upvote 1

As I look at this, I'm more intrigued. It appears the supplements (probably C1 through C4) were incorporated in front of the original manual content. This is the same as it was done in 1964, but in an officially revised copy, with an internal printing date of 1964.

I'll speculate that yours was needed for Vietnam, but we'll never really know. Perhaps they were provided with TSMG's for the South Vietnamese Army, or maybe they were for U.S. troops at that very early date of 1962.

Here is a photo of my 1964 version:

FM_23-40_1964.jpg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

This is very interesting,

When I saw the date on the back page and the amount of copy's reprinted I thought the same,

Thank you for your help and I hope others can use this information if doing any research on the use of TSMG in Vietnam,

Steve Bell,

sbell@gvtc.com

I'd leave it as is. It may be an Army reprint for use by US advisors/trainers in the early stages of the Vietnam War and judging by it's condition was heavily used. If so, it's an artifact, and any alteration will diminish it's value.

I agree with anticus. At the early stages of the VN war the TSMG was heavily used by the VN troops. Most US advisers would not have been familiar with the TSMG. They would have had to learn before they could instruct.

Jim C