butt stock plate-crooked

is it common for the butt stock to not quite fit right....wood smaller than the butt plate?.....i shot mine again today and thought someone sanded down the shooter side 1/16"-1/8"....but then i looked at the other side and it over hung on 1 edge by 1/32nd....its screwed on crooked and doesnt fit the wood correctly...i believe it to be an original butt stock, but it does appear refinished due to wear comparison with the front pistol grip....color is spot on, but wear is different

since the wood was made in some guys garage on the side i am starting to wonder if the quality is just not all that professional

does your butt plate fit perfectly on the wood?

When originally fitted buttplate to buttstock major mfrs used to sand buttplate to stock. Then stamp both with the same number so they could blue buttplate and then match it back to stock. Everyone is different so numbers match them to stock for matched fit. This is true for all older guns Thompsons , Reisings , etc. these numbers have nothing to do with guns serial numbers. Especially on Thompsons.

Some collectors think the stock & buttplate numbers should match guns serial but they never did. As far as Ingrams go they probably did not do this . I have a wartime M1 Thompson and the stock at buttplate is slightly wider than metal buttplate. Probably late war shortcut. Non essential. Ingram stocks are a bit crude so probably not critical as buttplates are stampings. Also don't forget shrinkage.

After 50 years as the wood dries out this happens. May have been fine when originally made. Also could be slightly crooked when it was

mounted, again not essential to be perfectly straight. The Ingram is a great gun but was an economy model sorta like a VW version of

the Thompson.

im trying to determine if the stock is original and original finish and just poor build quality.

i dont know if the M6 has a # stamped on it? ill check in a year when i take it back out

the color of the stock is almost a dead match for the front grip....its also beat/marked up...it doesnt look beautiful/freshly refinished....the only reason i think it could be refinished is the fingers of the front grip are worn,while the pistol grip is not....maybe the finish wasnt as thick on the front grip? who knows....id like it to be all original

i am sure i will run into someone else at a shoot with one and i can examine it there....