Incendiary Ammo?

Just got through re-reading the part of "The Gun That Made The Twenties Roar" where they shot the car up in Tenafly, NJ with incendiary ammo and was wondering if anyone had tried this. Found some @ Hi-Vel, Inc. for $2.00 per round. At that price, better make a big fire!

Would incendiary be the same as tracer? I'd think 50 tracers into a fuel tank would do the trick. I paid $35/50 rnds at Knob Creek, for tracers that is.

For whatever reason, fuel tanks are pretty hard to light off (just ask the guys at NBC who had to put model rocket engines on the GM side gas tanks before the tanks would burn to show how "dangerous" the GM design was for the TV audience). Plain ammo virtually never works. Even tracers do not usually set off a gas tanks. The incendary rounds or combo rounds should work.

Good luck and be careful!

Tracers and incindiarys are definately not the same things although tracers sometimes do start fires, incindiarys are designed for the purpose, they burn hotter than the tracers.

BB

I was talking with some people the other day, that set a hillside on fire with tracers. Took a couple of fire departments to put it out. OOOps! But they were shooting 50 cals. Not Thompson's. Too much dry underbrush.

As I recall, tracers use a bit of magnesium to stay illuminated while the bullet is in flight. The incendaries will combust upon inpact, not during flight. I do believe these are difficult if not illegal in some states.... check it out!