When The Aw Ban Sunsets Next Year...

I was wondering what your thoughts were about the AW ban sunsetting next year...will it happen or no?

Secondly, once the ban sunsets someone could tool up and make thompson L and C drums all day long...how much would one of those cost? (assume the same as a current production X drum?)...and how much is that?

Thirdly, if that did happen and some enterprising individual made drums for the M1...would that close the price difference gap between M1s and 1928's?

Thanks in advance!!

Well,

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst."

I hope it goes away, but it is doubtful that it will (IMHO.)

If it does, drum prices will hit the floor. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif The only execption would be the high dollar Colts. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

I think some drums may decrease in price, but I think the vintage military ones will keep a lot of their value. I guess I base that on my preceived scarcity of that item.

As you, I hope the ban sunsets, but I sincerely worry whenever an idiot, nut takes pot shots at cars.

In a sardonic and ironic manner, being "rare" and no longer relevant, the 10 round drums will instantly become the most costly and coveted Thompson drum. Prices of the "exotic" 10 rounders will skyrocket like they were filled with Tannerite since they will be the only Thompson magazine that can be sold on E-bay. The 10 round drum will be the Edsel of Thompson magazines. Villified in its day only to be more collectable and valuable than the more popular and "better" contemporaries.

I would expect some last minute underhanded,unconstitutional,leftist backroom deal struck to amend the sunset provision and further inhibit a free society.That being said,I sincerly hope it does in fact , DIE a much needed death.Prices would level off on drums currently produced IMO, however the drum fitting the M1 is a frame modifacation issue.IMO the price difference between 21s, 28s, 28a1s and M1s M1A1s is more a reflection of total production numbers,design modifications and historical backgrounds.Also, safety is a concern in that early TMSGs use a floating firing pin, making it more difficult to fire a round out of battery... I know, I know, thats a minor point but it does happen when a seperated case occurs.OUCH.So, heres to a very bright sunset!KEEPEM` SMOKIN`, out http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Phil,

It's amazing at how you think, I as well have pondered the thought of picking up yet another Kahr 1927A1 and just letting it as is. Considering that my 1st has had several things modified to not only make it work but to I guess one might say Hybridize it.

It's value might just be less someday that an out of box Kahr.

Man, I just felt a shiver go up my spine!!

It has always been the folly of the uninitiated "collector" to confuse "rarity" with desirability. As far as the value of such things, a piece of crap is still a piece of crap, whether it is an original piece of crap, or one that was modified, or if there are only five, or five hundred thousand. There may not be but a handful of pristine American Motors Pacers out there. But that does not mean that they are desirable, or valuable.

I hope the accusid ban sunsets and I think if it does Merril will become quite busy as people grab those replacement drum rails and a $100 X drum. I'd like tho see the C and L drums avalible for under $200. Who knows in fifty years those X drums might be valuble, (I said valuble not worth a crap to people who want to put rounds down range) to colectors.

Anyone know the exact date the ban sunsets ?

BB

By a staggering coincidence, I have direct knowledge regarding the desirability of the AMC Pacer. My (now deceased) uncle drove one, and it was in pristine condition. It was registered:-) He obtained it from his mother (who, by a second staggering coincidence was also my grandmother. Her last name was Zipperlein, and her husband (my grandfather...whoa..) came to America in 1933...but I digress) who left the car sitting in her garage after she became too elderly to operate it safely. It sat there, undisturbed, for years before it was discovered by my uncle. Now, my uncle was a phone repair man, and he spent some time working in Chicago back in the late sixties, and was rumored to have worked on some phone junction boxes up the street from where, back in the late twenties, there had been some rather seedy underworld activity revolving around illegal liquor sales, etc. Anyway, whenever my uncle would drive this Pacer around town (after it became his primary auto--everyone told him he was nuts to even drive this thing. "What if it were damaged or you buldged a bumber or something?!?" they would always say) people would approach him offering to buy it; offering absolutely insane amounts of money for it. Collectors, you see. Stuffy Pacer nuts who knew everything about the dang thing! I can recall him telling stories about these oddballs who would first offer to buy it right off the WalMart lot, then start drooling at the mint (and obviously rare) door handles and faux chromed door lock shafts. I told him once he should just part the car out, that he'd probably make a ton on it that way, but he enjoyed actually using the car for its intended purpose--driving. He remained unchanged by the status of the car until his death. Even with its obvious history. It then passed to his daughter (you guessed it--my cousin). She didn't really want it, and it once again sat unused. I suggested she sell it on eBay Motors. Not sure whatever happened to that rare piece of American history.....

I have no idea why I spent to much time writing this down, other than to make the point that the Pacer, in all acounts, appeared to be very valuable and desirable, albeit to such a small percentage of the population (kind of like certain gun owners). The story is all true though...

LOL It appears that the KSP have way to much tme on their hands. What were those mile markers Chris? I may have to keep you busy or something. "Oh, don't look in the trunk officer, it's not mine." http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

I have a story about my 1967 Rambler Rouge with 16,000 actual miles,3 on the tree,straight six,no power anything, but there's not that much room on here.

I agree with most of you guys...i would love for the AW ban to sunset (read DIE)...but i am very skeptical since Bush is riding the fence on many important issues

While i do believe (and agree) that the originals will retain most of their value as collectables i do feel that the West Hurleys would drop drastically to the price of a "used" drum.

Just like if the 1986 FOPA were repealled, i HOPE that the original wartime thompsons and vet bringbacks from korea and vietnam would retain value along with specialties like Colts and Stoners...and others

So hopefully next year we will all be dumping our $200 'C drums' at the range...and i believe a drum can be modified to work on an M1 without modifying the receiver

Wait a second now I'm pissed!!! The Pacer is not highly prized and collectible? I happen to have two Pacers, and was planning to trade em both for a nice Colt™ tsmg.... One of em, the BMW Pacer-i, "The first wide BMW", is worth at least a WH... no?

http://mail.roadfly.com/roadsterles/amcpaceri.jpg