Good Deal On A West Hurley?

Over the past few weeks I have launched an extensive searth for a Thompson. In my wanderings I have stumbled onto this forum and it has been a very enjoyable and informative experience. As I wrote earlier, I am pretty much commited to a 1928A1 with matching upper and lower. One of the people I talked to early in my quest re contacted me yesterday. He offered me a new in the original box West Hurley with serial number 614A for $8,600 and SELER pays $400. worth of taxes. This gun also has a real Lyman rear sight and shows some figure in the wood. Since this is such an early WH, (1975 or first year of production) could this sight be a surplus part and if so, how many other GI parts might be in the gun? Also included with the gun is 0ne 20, one 30, and one original Bridgeport drum all in new condition. Seems like a good buy to me and I was tempted but I think I'm going to pass on it. If anybody else has any interest in this gun let me know. I will forward the pix and info. Hank

So it comes with a genuine Lyman sight, a Bridgeport drum, AND the seller's willing to pay both taxes? I'd say jump on it! Figure it this way... $8600 for the package, right? Minus $400 in transfer taxes=$8200, minus another $700 for the Bridgeport drum=$7500 for a NIB WH '28....sounds fair to me.

Even if there aren't a lot of GI parts in the gun, they're easy enought to find and swap out. These days, there's nothing that can't be made to work (gunsmiths have had 17 years to to figure out how to keep MGs running, and there are plenty of talented people out there.)

Ok, it's not a "real" TSMG to the purists (i'm not a purist, btw...I also have a WH TSMG) but with the exception of the receiver, it won't take a whole lot to bring it up GI specs and get it run as well as a GI gun. If only I had the money, I'd take it.

It's a real Thompson, and I also concur. Somebody better jump before they realise the err of their ways.

BTW, it appears to be year three production, according to TCN:

1977 QTY 368 330A - 343A, 351A - 703A, 1339A, 1070A - 1071A

http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/tcn/1998/aug/aug98p6.htm

First of all, thanks for the correction on date of manufacture. I am pleased with this new knowledge. Mr. Richardson told me that there wrere a few "bugs" that had to be worked out with the earliest guns. Secondly, I need to make a correction of my own. The gun is "almost" unfired, only 4 boxes through it (200 rds.) I guess that's like being "almost" pregnant. So now this baby is "Almost" New in the Box with all the manuals etc. The plot thickens. Second problem is that I am supposed to be first on the list. First right of refusal as it goes. Supposedly there is a line behind me. After seeing everyones reaction I don't doubt it. I really am new at this and I don't know how anyone could take my place in this line. If someone knows, tell me. Third problem is that I was pretty much decided on passing on this little jem until you "non purists" got a hold on me. I really need to S---- or get off the Pot by Monday morning. I have requested much more detailed info. on the gun as to its content of any GI parts. When my son gets home, I will see if he can help me copy the pix to this board. I had hoped some of the TSMG board "purists" might have some constructive imput here. Maybe they get on later in the day. Oh will, it really doesn't matter what they say, because this is not a choice of either, or. The choice is, do I really want to be a pig and go for both. Mike, I got your e-mail. I see you are in my state. I need to talk to you. I will answer soon. Hank http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif

Hank:

Purist, shmurist. What do you want in a Tommy? If you plan on shooting the heck out of it, the Westy is fine. Likely, though, the reason it has only had 200 rounds through it is because the owner was fed up with jams, etc. That is the way the West Hurleys (sometimes) are. Not always, but occasionally. My gun was similarly advertised as seldom fired, only about 500 rounds. I believe that, but it was 500 rounds ten at a time. It is completely unacceptible for it to run nothing less than perfect. Mine required some work, and now it is flawless. Can you test fire it? But it is a very good deal, even if you have to drop $500 into it for a tune up. Now, if, down the road, you decide you want a war relic or a collector Colt, your Westy will have appreciated greatly in value. You are not buying a gun no one else will want, or be willing to pay more for than you did. Trust me.

Arguably, a Savage will run you 5k more. A Colt 10k more. The gun you describe would sell in half a day on a board someplace...

Mr.MP43; This deal you described, puts you head & shoulders above me in my recent W/Hurley,(hey, that's my name) 1928 deal, the wife and I accepted back in September.......(the gun has been trans in the state for 5 wks now)........

Ser# 352A, from the owner in Tulsa,Okla, cost us $9500. PLUS the two trans stamps. So we will be sitting soon on a $9900. gun, that will come with a few mags and a 39rd W/Hurley(hey,that's my name) drum. THAT'S IT !......I just wish we had come upon this gentleman you are dealing with months ago.....You are so lucky, .....jw & Mrs.jw

MP43,

Jump on it if available still. I have a WH that is about 200 SN's earlier that I bought new in 1977-78. Never had a bit of trouble with it nor did it need any tweeking. For pure shooting fun a Westy can't be beat. For collecting, a Colt or Savage is preferred but will cost you. I don't shoot mine as much as I should but when I do I'm not concerned about damaging the Colt 21's or the Savage 1928. I know , I know they are meant to be shot ............

Good Luck !