• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 MACMAN

MACMAN

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:27 AM

I just saw a Winchester REWAT on Bowers for $18,500.00. It does not say whom did the REWAT job.

#22 MrBill

MrBill

• Board Donor
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Old Motorcycles, Sharpes Rifles , Thompson Machine Guns

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:28 PM

There is a m14 winchester on subguns now. The seller is in Florida and he is asking 38.5K I assume this is not a rewat? I have not contacted the seller yet but does anyone have any opinions on this weapon?

#23 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

Website Founder & Industry Expert

• 1089 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

Be careful and ask a LOT of questions when buying an M14. There are a lot more "rewelds" than original uncut M14s.

When I was looking for one, I posted a wanted to buy, a lot of those responding didn't know that they had a cut and welded receiver until I asked them who was listed as the manufacturer on the form. It was usually Fleming, Erb or one of many C2 manufacturers. A few even told me that despite the C2 manufacturer listed on the form, the guy who sold it to them told them the receiver was never really cut. I explained that in that case, the gun would be contraband.

A few potential sellers didn't know what a welded receiver M14 was, all they knew is they had an M14. 

(I had a similar experience with MP40 tube gun owners, all they knew was they had an MP40)

Buyer beware

#24 homie

homie

• Regular Group
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

I came across an original U S G I M14 Rifle at an estate sale. I had always wanted an M 14, but never had a chance to get one. after reading thequotes on this forum, I am totally lost. every one makes it sound like you can't own an M14. what's up with this?

#25 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

• 1089 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

You can own an M14, there are several options

There are several "different" M14s in a general order of preference.

1. An original M14 as issued, with an original receiver that was never cut. Not many out there...there are a few Amnesty registered, the DOE guns and those from the H&R Bankruptcy auction. Total est about 75-100 in the system. Expensive, 25-35k> Originals were made by the (original government) Springfield Armory, Winchester, H&R and TRW.

2. M14s, M1A etc GI parts with commercially made receivers: Springfield Armory Inc, Smith Ent. and a few others. Many were converted from semi-autos.

3. M14s with receivers that were cut into pieces and welded back together. The welds can usually be spotted under close examination. On the registration form the manufacturer will be Fleming, Erb someone other than an original GI contractor. 

4. There are very few pre-may and post-may dealer sample M14s. Many are Chinese mfg M14s 

#26 homie

homie

• Regular Group
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:12 AM

Thanks, I'm still struggling. From your post, (1. An original M14 as issued, with an original receiver that was never cut.), A Winchester with out selector switch. that's what I picked up. 

Edited by homie, 29 July 2016 - 08:12 AM.

#27 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1861 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

Homie,

Are you referring to a registered NFA gun or a semi automatic version?

Ron

#28 homie

homie

• Regular Group
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

Ron, I am referring to An original M14 semi auto, as issued, with an original receiver that was never cut. A Winchester, with out selector switch. Not registered.

#29 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

• 1089 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

Ron, I am referring to An original M14 semi auto, as issued, with an original receiver that was never cut. A Winchester, with out selector switch. Not registered

Original M14 receivers cannot be legally converted to a semi-automatic-only, the ATF's position is "once a machine gun always a machine gun"

A few demilled (cut) receivers were welded back together and sold as semi-autos, but I think the ATF stopped them from doing it.  

If you have an original M14 without the selector switch it's still considered a machine gun. If its not registered its contraband = possession is a felony.

#30 homie

homie

• Regular Group
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

Frank, I appreciate your straightforward answer. After reading numerous posts on open forum, I was not comfortable buying the weapon, (although I would like to own an M 14) I made the decision to let it pass, and I will always look back and wish I had bought the gun.  Thanks again.

#31 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1861 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:08 PM

Frank, I appreciate your straightforward answer. After reading numerous posts on open forum, I was not comfortable buying the weapon, (although I would like to own an M 14) I made the decision to let it pass, and I will always look back and wish I had bought the gun.  Thanks again.

I believe you made the right decision at least until you find out what the real story is behind the gun you saw for sale.

Welcome to the boards and the advice from Frank is literally from "the guy who wrote the book".

Ron

#32 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

• 1089 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:33 PM

If you have an original uncut U.S. GI contract M14 receiver that is not registered it is illegal.

However, 

There are a lot of commercial (not GI) M14 and M1A marked receivers that were made as semi-automatics and are legal.

Are sure you have a 1960's GI receiver? The original manufacturers were: Winchester, TRW, H&R Arms Co and the original government Springfield Armory.

The commercial Springfield Armory was opened after the original gov't facility closed. Commercial Springfield Armory receivers are marked M1A, not M14.

and they have a trademark on them, a letter T inside of a circle. Many commercial M1A serial numbers start with a zero, no original's do (except for a few original presentation guns that were given to dignitaries)

The ATF says

You cannot legally change a machine gun to a semi-automatic-only by just removing the selector switch.

I suggest you visit the ATF website.

#33 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

And don't forget there were two commercial Springfield armory's.  Elmer Balance Devine TX,  then moved up to Geneseo, IL.   While the guns appear the same there are be many differences in parts supplied.