M1A1 on GB- Not Mine

The photos are not detailed enough to reveal much. It's impossible to tell whether the gun has been over buffed. We can see that the color of the park is very even, meaning it's been re parked since the original depot refurbishing done to most of these guns. Depot refinishing left subtle variations in color and finish here and there, with generally at least some blued parts used. The slab-sided pistol grip is from a WH gun, or is a repro.

Reminds me of one Bob Bond from Ohio had back over forty years ago in his wall glass cabinet.First time I went into a house and they had tear gas ejectors for a burglar alarm in each room. My first question to Bob if it goes off will the gas hurt the finish on any guns? figuring some acidic gas formula, He said Ron I never thought of that. He also had a great Switchblade collection also. And a nice New Amnesty M3 GreaseGun.

I think Irv Kahn had the same set up both great guys and a pleasure to do business with.

Colt21aRon

check his feedback...its A+, but the only thing he has sold in 3 years 2 months has a D rating on it..

it shows he doesnt sell on GB often....not necessarily a red flag, but it shows he doesnt have any recent selling history

his description is a bit on the dreaming side.....is he drinking the cool aid or trying to get you to drink it....that is the question you need to find out....ill put a guess that his reserve is higher than it should be by $5k+

Petro 1===it still might be a nice gun to own....looks as good or nicer than Rubens.....

Edited by huggytree

Wow Irv Kahn... its been years since I've heard his name...my position at KC was next to him and Neal Smith way back in the mid 80's.. Irv got me started on my first armalite ar10... being a lefty I was going back to camp with LC 82 imprints on my forehead... back in the days bruce swawell would test his m14's and hk's with Irv on position 25. we got showered with brass. Bruce is gone and I'm sure Irv is too.

the m1a1 at 20k looks like a nice shooter.. imho

PTRS

Edited by PTRS-14.5

Ptrs good memories I bet you had there. Neal is still around my tables are next to his at SAR show in phx. well the last two years before they were. This year wall table,Irv did a lot of business with me and it was always fun. Miami Business Interiors was his out. he later sold the bevel and bought a cool white house mansion looking house on some acres.And he would send out his list like Lynn Luger of Ohio also. Good times and good deals and better priced for sure. Glad you enjoyed it.

Colt21a Ron

I like the BA stamp on the stock....my gut says the finish is just too nice for an original 1950's rebuild/redo....i think its a modern redo.

i have no doubts this is a $23k gun.....with an original 1950's park it could be a $25k gun

0 chance its a $30-32k gun....but from the responses you emailed me from the seller i get the idea he thinks he has gold

throw him $23,000 as an offer...if he hangs up you know he wants $32,000....if he counters you know he may be realistic..with no bids at even $20,000 you have all the power!!!

if he had better pics and a no reserve at $20,000 opening bid he would have had multiple bids today

This guy wants HUGE money for this Thompson and the BAR he has listed. I saw these two guns at a gun show last year and IIRC the M1 had a tag of $32,000ish and the BAR was $70,000 or something stupid like that.

That BAR is listed as built for the govt as a prototype . Its just an ER Maples gun made in the 80's.

Offer him the 23 if you want it bad if current redo,[which it looks like to me}unless for the passed 30 years it was in a sealed case never touched and handled in tha period of time.

no sense in anybody batting the guy up like Al Capone. He has a gun to sell showed it make a offer real simple.if he does not move on it who cares move on to another. Life is way too short to lets hope its better. Will it be cheaper. will the wood and finish change overnight.

I would get always ten Thompson guys to every one buyer. I would spend time with all of them to educate. And the final Question I would ask. Are you showing me cash finally today? Or do you want to chat some more....

And sometimes a guy would call Ron you got the Gun? yes Check going out next day air Fine done deal.Oh yeah I sold many Thompsons like that well over a 100, Sure not as many as some guys. But Brother nobody had the quality I did in guns and accs for them. So if this one does something for you and you can stomach writing a check for 23 grand do it.

If it scares you walk away and keep shopping. Nobody ever forced anybody to buy a Thompson yet.

Colt21a Ron

I just lay it all out some don't like to hear that today. And that's good because those folk I don't deal with.Funny thing never had no problem selling thousands of guns.Or buying them either. So enjoy a fresh made done Tommy today.

1. A lot of guns have some bogus story to along with the sale, just ignore the story and focus on the gun.

2. The gun looks like a recent refinishing job. I think we can all agree on that.

I have an M1A1 with an RIA rebuild stamp and an original arsenal re-parkerizing finish.

The Parkerizing is that WWII grey park with the usual patina of old gun oil, dirt and hang grease, which gives it a slight olive green cast.

It looks like my gun was just dunked in the park tank without sandblasting, you can easily see the milling marks on the receiver.

To be fair to the seller, guns are really hard to photograph well.

I don't think that the fact that the gun is a recent refinish or rebuild is a big deal.

If the gun is in exc. working condition and it's not a rewatt or reweld, and the markings aren't sand blasted off the gun, then go for it.

I would not pay any uber-high price for it. It's not a pristine original gun the way the seller is pretending.

If it was the original finish it would be a charcoal black oxide finish and the finish would show use, handling and storage marks.

The problem comes when a seller is drinking the cool aid and believes his gun is gold. Cant negiotate with someone who believes he has a brand new 1943 Thompson and he fired the first rounds through it. A gun the buyer may want for a fair price. But the seller may think a fair price is $10,000 more. When so few guns show up and your excited to buy a Thompson its painful to see. Might be months before another decent gun shows up again.

Fingers crossed for you Vinny

Took me months of looking and 3 serious contenders

Edited by huggytree

The photos are better, but the critical photos are still missing, the ones that show the markings, close up and in great detail. You want to see if over buffing has disturbed the original roll markings, the edges of which should be raised slightly above the surrounding surface because of the metal displaced during the roll marking process.

I've got no problem with a gun that's been refinished since the first US depot rebuild, as this one obviously has, but over buffing is a no-no, and it kills the value of the gun with knowledgeable buyers. I wouldn't offer the seller less money for an over-buffed gun; I'd just avoid it. The reason is that years down the road when you go to sell it, the gun will still have the same problem, which cannot be rectified. Over buffing can be done to try to hide a multitude of problems, including surface pitting.

Edited by TSMGguy