Reising Bolts

Springman

• 4 months later...

FWIW as a follow-up to Frank Iannamico's inquiry, I have sent both my working and spare bolts and action bars to Indianapolis Ordnance for them to evaluate making re-pops. I know there have been some significant issues with their M3 parts so this may or may not be a solution but it just might work out.

As you know, Reisings were hand fitted. If they make new bolts, they should be oversize in the areas

that would have been fitted at the factory. If they done, then the parts won't fit all guns. Remember, the

M1 carbine was the first to have interchangable parts for the most part.

They know that. It's why I sent them my only 2 exemplars. If I had more I would have sent more.

Actually the Model 1861 Springfield was the first US rifle to have interchangeable parts; it just took H&R a century or so to catch up

They know that. It's why I sent them my only 2 exemplars. If I had more I would have sent more.

Actually the Model 1861 Springfield was the first US rifle to have interchangeable parts; it just took H&R a century or so to catch up

Excellent point re 1861

I want to say that H&R did not have a reason to provide interchangeable parts, probably until the M1 Garand contracts. The USMC did not contractually require Reising SMG parts to be interchangeable. The test results at the factory with hand fitted parts were exemplary, and H&R never received a complaint from the USMC about the Reising SMG.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I want to say that H&R did not have a reason to provide interchangeable parts, probably until the M1 Garand contracts. The USMC did not contractually require Reising SMG parts to be interchangeable. The test results at the factory with hand fitted parts were exemplary, and H&R never received a complaint from the USMC about the Reising SMG.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Respectfully, David, although not stipulated within the USMC contract, E. Reising surely should have had sufficient institutional knowledge to realize the importance of interchangeability. I have read that he was involved in the M1911, with JMB. If so, did it simply not register? I realize that some have felt there was a war and in the interest of expediency, etc.etc. but I simply feel this does not mitigate a significant design flaw.

My 2 Cents

Keith Smart

Along with my firing pin problem, I showed Tony a broken bolt and asked if he would be interested in making some.

One thing he noted about the bolts is they break at the sharp angle cut at the back were the action bar fits. He said there were a radius cut they may not break. Sounds logical to me.

He said to make bolts he would need to make a minimum of 100 pieces and they would cost approximately $350.00 each. I told him I would buy the first two.

If you radius the cut in the bolt, which is a VERY good idea - it removes a huge stress concentration, you would also need to radius the tip of the lug on the action bar which engages it.

Edited by StrangeRanger

I agree that a radius is less likely to develop a crack. An alternative theory for the Reising broken bolt issue may due to a lot or batch of bolts that were improperly heat treated. If it was simply a design flaw I would think that the majority of Reising bolts would have had the rear portion sheared off by now or that very few original bolts would remain. I will concede I have no numbers of failed bolts versus bolt that have functioned since the 1940's.

My Reising appeared to have been fired very little when I acquired it and the bolt appeared in the same condition. I sheared off the bolt within the first 200-300 rounds of me shooting it. I have put a bolt with considerable finish wear in the Model 50 and it has had no issues. My Model 50 continues to run 100% minus the sheared bolt episode since the day I acquired it. I don't put a lot of rounds through it as I do not want the compensator to blow a fin(s). I would consider the compensator thickness allowing fins to be blown out to be a design flaw.

Bridgeport,

If you're not hung up on keeping your Reising 100% original, consider one of these:

http://www.bullcreekarms.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=64

I haven't gotten mine installed yet but it is indistinguishable from the original except when viewed from the front

I'm brand new to this forum. My only subgun is a Reising and I have had problems with the back of the bolt shearing-off metal within the first 150 rounds put through it. I had the bolt repaired by a master gunsmith, and tried the repaired bolt, yesterday. After about 50 rounds, it broke again. It is not repairable at this point. I need a new bolt as I am now "dead in the water." Can anybody point me in a good direction where I might acquire a bolt? If somebody made a new run of Reising Bolts, I would probably purchase at least 2, also, and maybe more, if they worked in my gun. (I do realize that they may be oversized and then need to be fitted by a gunsmith). But, as long as they were good quality, I think there is a market for them, right now. I would really appreciate if somebody could assist!

Thanks in advance.

The only source for Reising bolts at the moment is classified ads on Sturmgewehr, Gun Broker, Armslist etc. Thanks to Frank Iannamico there are currently at least two gunsmiths evaluating the possibility of manufacturing repops. If and when those bolts appear they will still require fitting to the gun and will probably require a modification to the actuator rod.

they show up...keep looking...i think i paid $100 for one and $150 for another (within the last 6 months)

parts are gold. I make sure i have a full parts kit for every FA i own and multiples of wear parts

within 3-6 months you will find one....ask the forum and one might show up for you

There seems to be a strong market for Reising bolts, so Im thinking of contacting potential makers of these as a potential investor. Having no experience in the economics of producing these or what is involved, dont know if this is practical, but it seems like every Reising will, sooner or later, need a bolt. Perhaps with modern alloys, the Achilles heel of the as-designed bolt can be overcome. Until then, Im reluctant to shoot my M50 or recently bought M60.