What is an E-Form, in relationship to Class 3

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paul in PA

Paul in PA

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:U.S. Military Firearms from the First Half of the Twentieth Century. Life Member of the NRA and a retired O-6 from the U.S. Air Force.

Posted 03 April 2021 - 07:54 AM

Ok, here is a stupid question. I have been out of the Class 3 market since 2000. No purchases or sales since then. What is an E-Form in relationship to Class 3 items?

My current pieces are all on a paper Form 4 with a "Tax Stamp".  What happens when I go to sell? Delays?

What is an e-File or e-Form?

Thanks in Advance

Paul

#2 BRMCII

BRMCII

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:23 AM

The ATF E-file does not replace hardcopy applications and is mostly an option for FFLs to expedite FFL related applications. A non-FFL function in the E-file system is for individual F1 applications.

An Individual or an FFL is eligible to sign up for the service and there is no cost.

It takes some practice to use the system and it is often down for one reason or another.

E-file F3 dealer-to-dealer transfers are very quick and the system is definitely a plus.

I have had trouble with the system when trying to use F2s for registering post-May samples that I have built and can't clear up the problem. So, I have to use paper F2s until the glitch is removed.

Also the E-file archive of my business inventory as recorded from the NFRTR is incorrect/incomplete and I can't get that straightened out either. This means that certain of the MGs in my inventory cannot be transferred out on E-file F3s. FWIW

Edited by BRMCII, 03 April 2021 - 07:55 PM.

#3 emmagee1917

emmagee1917

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2106 posts
  • Interests:All USGI WW2 firearms and acc.

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:03 PM

Last 5 F-1s for individual - 18 days - 18 days - 19 days - 19 days - 28 days . Time to file -1 , 1 , 1 , 1 , 30 days . Last one due to account problems followed by a total system crash when fixed . At the time , paper was estimated at 8+ months . 

Chris

#4 Ryo

Ryo

• Regular Group
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:17 PM

It the same as the form your use to but much easier and faster.
I've heard eforms filed could take hours. My experience it has been 2 days. Worst I've heard is a month. When I faxed the forms in it took about a month but that was long long time ago.