Where to find EZ pull spring kit?

• 1 month later...

I ordered two recoil springs and firing pin spring from Nurich for my new Thompson.The new springs makes it easier to pulled the bolt back.The recoil springs are slightly longer and larger diameter.Four dollars a spring and a easier pull.

Hope this helps someone with their Thompson.

Yesterday, I tracked down who made the EZ Pull Spring Kits; i.e. Dave Jankowski of S&D Mfg or AMW Springs. Dave indicated

to me that they stopped making the EZ Pull Kits a couple of years ago and they had no plans to make any more. So it appears any one interested in EZ Pull Kits will need to make their own.

Best regards,

CJR

• Upvote 1

Joe H,

Thanks for the late Christmas present!!! I was hoping someone would list the technical specs for the E-Z pull set-up for the 1927A1. I've been looking for this kit, but never got any nibbles. At the McMaster-Carr prices, I'm guessing this set-up will only cost about 25% of what these kits were selling for! Can't wait to try this out!!!!

THANKS JOE!!!!!

Mario

I have the steel receiver, so I counted the coils on the ez-set and found it to be about 20 coils or so shorter than my gorilla springs. I clipped about ten or so off mine, left the firing pen spring alone then made a buffer pad, a lot easier to cock, but need to test it to see if it's going to cycle now, will let ya'll know if this works. Worst case scenario I'll be ordering new springs.

Tray,

There is a lot of info within this thread. Lately, the discussion has been on how to make your own E-Z spring set-up. The latest info listed the parts you could order from McMaster-Carr for the DIY solution. Your message is confusing. If you ordered an actual kit for the E-Z set-up, then you should not have to cut the springs for them to work. If you ordered the parts from McMaster-Carr, then the instructions by Joe H. says to trim the McMaster-Carr springs to 10 inches. My McMaster-Carr springs were about 11 inches long when I received them and are longer than the original 1927A1 Kahr springs that came in my Tommy. I think you refer to the original springs as the "gorilla springs"? My original Kahr springs are 8 inches long. I can't tell from your post if you clipped 10 coils off of the E-Z springs or your gorillas springs. Just wondering if you may have caused yourself a problem by improperly modifying the springs?

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!!

Mario

Sorry for the confusion, I used my own springs and not the ez-springs. It's still takes some effort to pull back, just not as much. We'll see if it was to much taken off when I take it to the range next time. New springs run 5 bucks or so each, so if I have to go back to original springs no big deal. Figured it's worth a try.

Hey guys,

The AO TM1 Thompson use these same springs correct?

For a person who is a terrible DIYer, the only hard part seems to me is making the buffer. But other than that, it seems to me there's only one spring that needs to be replaced?

This one:

9637K65 pack of 5 ea 11" long - cut to 10" $12.86

alee1412,

I don't know the design of the TM1, so no comment on that topic. You can go to various sites on the internet and find out if the 1927A1 and the TM1 have the same set up for the recoil spring pilot plate, springs etc. For the 1927A1 set-up, the springs that Joe H discussed are the two (QT= 2) springs that attach over the rods on the recoil spring pilot plate. These springs have to be shortened to 10 inches. Yes, making the buffer is a little involved. I have air tools and punches that made the fabrication go a little better than using more primitive tools. Once you get all of that fabricated, the next tricky operation is getting the recoil spring pivot plate with the springs on the rods back into the receiver!!!!The extra 2" of the new springs make this a challenge! The action of the "E-Z" pull springs with buffer is an improvement over the factory springs!!! Looks like we will all end up with 3 extra springs and almost a 6"X6" piece of buffer material.

Been doing some research and I believe I'll get some dummy cartridges and make sure that my bolt will strip them out of the mag without any issues before heading to the range, I don't want to experience an OOB discharge? There's no issues with my sear, so it shouldn't trip without pulling the trigger, but I wanna be on the safe side. Any thoughts welcomed.

Tray,

The Kahr FCG is designed so that if the dis-connector fails or the sear does not catch the gun will jam on the next shot. If either of these problems occur the firing pin will extend beyond the feed-lips and jam the cartridge as it tries to feed.

I doubt the return springs will have any effect on this safeguard. I'm pretty sure it was required by the AFT for their approval.

All,

The springs I mentioned above were designed to put the same force on the closed bolt as the original FA Thompson, I think it was about 7#. They have to be pulled back on the rods as they are inserted due to their length. I have no clue as the the specs on the EZ pull springs that are sold as such. They worked fine on my 1927A1 and they work on the semi Tommy builds I have done using parts kits.

Joe

Two approaches; either cut springs to 9" length and install or make a simple long rod fixture and compress 10" long springs and hold them at coil bind for awhile to allow springs to take a "set" before installing them into bolt.

Best regards,

CJR

Place the springs on the rods. Start the springs in the bolt holes. Holding the assembly against the palm of your hand compress the springs on the rods using your fingers by pushing them toward the plate until the tips of the rods slip in the bolt holes then push the whole assembly in place. Once you have done it its very simple every-time.

Joe

• 7 months later...

Looks like we will all end up with 3 extra springs and almost a 6"X6" piece of buffer material.

I was just getting ready to place the order on the McMaster Carr website and then it occurred to me to ask- does anyone HERE who bought these and has the leftovers want to sell me a pair of the springs and a piece of the buffer material big enough to cut my own buffer from, for maybe about $15 and recoup some of what they spent for their own? Never hurts to ask! :happy:

I got my EZ Pull springs from Dan Block. Great to do business with! I also believe that the EZ Pull springs are easier on the bolt and extractor due to the fact that they are not being slammed as hard when returning forward into battery as with the factory spring setup. I have not had any problems and the gun runs fine.

All this is very good info, and I am guessing its still a no go for an aluminum receiver even with the buffer correct?

Way back when, there were a couple of vendors who sold slightly different versions of reduced effort spring sets for the semi-auto Thompsons. Both versions included a buffer. In his ads, one of them had a cautionary note with regard to use in an aluminum receiver. I don't believe anybody every did a design analysis or a test to failure to scientifically prove or disprove use in an aluminum receiver.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to pursue.