Colt #98 $8,500.00

I was going over some old paperwork this week and found many letters receipt's just plain old stuff.and came across this when sold in 1999> for $8,500.00. so in 13 years.it went from that to over $35,000.00 seems to me in the past five years they have gotten really out of hand.{ that means keeping them out of the hands that would hope to afford them}

And i can remember back in the day when dealers and collectors would tell me Ron you want $5,000.00 for that one sure its nice but how about $4,200.00.but yet the next closest price from the next guy was $7,000.00 go figure.

I was just a easy touch back in the day and wanted other guys to enjoy Thompsons also.

that sure has changed far more then i could even imagine.Hopefully for some the fun will continue on.But as the passing of every year it seems less and less interest. or its the same fifty or so guy's doing it. and trying to bring in new blood. with the current state of the economy it will need a major transfusion.i However its good to see new guys come on board. sure sticker shock is still there.

just hopefully they will get a nice Colt, and not some ragged out one.

at least we all can say we did it.and had fun with it. and continue to enjoy it when time permits.Colt21a /Ron

I just thought as i posted this somebody will probably think darn is this for sale for $8,500.00 today...

at least a motorcycle and car can take you to work never seen a Colt with Wheels on it yet.right now i'd rather have cash, gold, silver, diamonds. then a rack full of 21's..

those items are liquid. Thompson's sure after a buyer is found and they pay you.

but heck $$$ aside right. the Thompson is fun..and remember always be well off enough that if you lose it you can afford it.

its only when you get $100,000.00 plus into them and can't bail out fast.I have bailed out on so much stuff in the last ten years i don't even need a parachute anymore. i land on my feet like a cat.and keep on trucking.

found also #3283 $ 15,000.00 what a deal,#103 $7,500.00 #274 $9,000.00 Well now to the Garand box and P-38's.. a weekend of cleaning up..40 years of clutter.Colt21a /Ron

p.s. gangster posters to follow.

Edited by colt21a

I wonder how many thousands of people have at least that kind of money in their car or motorcycle toys?

Yeah, and what about the glitter boats with 160hp V6 outboard motors and all the trimmings? Costs a king's ransom to take out on the lake for an afternoon.

I'll take my 21 instead. You think it costs a lot to shoot it? Compare to the gasoline the glitter boat burns on a hot afternoon.

Curl

Ron,

Thompsons are not getting more expensive, Money is getting more worthless. With the government printing presses running overtime , Money will be a lot more worthless in the future.

Why on earth would someone pay $1800.00 for a disk of gold that previously sold for $38.00. Its only value is that some people think it has value.

At least with the tommy you can rob someone of all thier gold disks.

Jim C

Despite the advice of William Devane, if you bought gold in 2011 at $1,900 an ounce, you lost $400 an ounce in 2012. Some other sage advised 10 years ago to always buy real estate as an investment since they are not making any more land. I guess all those people who are upside down on their homes figured the government would guarantee their investment. While NFA items are not intended as a single investment, they have advantages over more conventional collateral.

I wonder how many thousands of people have at least that kind of money in their car or motorcycle toys?

Yeah, and what about the glitter boats with 160hp V6 outboard motors and all the trimmings? Costs a king's ransom to take out on the lake for an afternoon.

I'll take my 21 instead. You think it costs a lot to shoot it? Compare to the gasoline the glitter boat burns on a hot afternoon.

Curl

Living less than a mile from the Mississippi, I sure do know what you mean.

My primary thought was that lots of people seem to come up with the money for something

they really want, even if all it ever does is sit in the garage or be trailered to car shows.

I wanted a Thompson.

Edited by mnshooter

In 1982 I bought 4 NJSP Colts for $8000. Sold the best 3 of the 4 and had the the last one free.Not in a lifetime could anyone have imagined the price acceleration . Does anyone remember ARMEX ? I still have the Colt 1918A2 BAR dealer sample I bought for $500.

Thompsons are not getting more expensive, Money is getting more worthless. With the government printing presses running overtime , Money will be a lot more worthless in the future.

This along with people looking for a hedge for their money--NFA items today are a natural hedge because of the artifical (government) limited supply.

Despite the advice of William Devane, if you bought gold in 2011 at $1,900 an ounce, you lost $400 an ounce in 2012. Some other sage advised 10 years ago to always buy real estate as an investment since they are not making any more land. I guess all those people who are upside down on their homes figured the government would guarantee their investment. While NFA items are not intended as a single investment, they have advantages over more conventional collateral.

AF I'M into mine for $300.00 a coin kruggerands and eagle's you figure when i bought it. 20 cost me $6,000.00 then. resale today sold today $34,000.00 still a better deal outlay at the time. however the Thompson is more fun.. the best of both worlds own a Thompson diamonds and gold and silver.those who have the gold can make the rules.always have always will be.Colt 21a Ron

Ron,

Why on earth would someone pay $1800.00 for a disk of gold that previously sold for $38.00. Its only value is that some people think it has value.

At least with the tommy you can rob someone of all thier gold disks.

Jim C

yes good reason to own one then you can rob the Gold.wink! Colt21a /Ron

p.s. everybody know's i always loved the Thompson...otherwise I never would have bought any.

In 1982 I bought 4 NJSP Colts for $8000. Sold the best 3 of the 4 and had the the last one free.Not in a lifetime could anyone have imagined the price acceleration . Does anyone remember ARMEX ? I still have the Colt 1918A2 BAR dealer sample I bought for $500.

sold my Armex MP-40 a few years back for $5,000.00 it was well worth the $650.00 at the time.replaced it with a ww2 Bring-back.I'm happy Colt21a /Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I was going over some old paperwork this week and found many letters receipt's just plain old stuff.and came across this when sold in 1999> for $8,500.00. so in 13 years.it went from that to over $35,000.00 seems to me in the past five years they have gotten really out of hand.{ that means keeping them out of the hands that would hope to afford them}

And i can remember back in the day when dealers and collectors would tell me Ron you want $5,000.00 for that one sure its nice but how about $4,200.00.but yet the next closest price from the next guy was $7,000.00 go figure.

I was just a easy touch back in the day and wanted other guys to enjoy Thompsons also.

that sure has changed far more then i could even imagine.Hopefully for some the fun will continue on.But as the passing of every year it seems less and less interest. or its the same fifty or so guy's doing it. and trying to bring in new blood. with the current state of the economy it will need a major transfusion.i However its good to see new guys come on board. sure sticker shock is still there.

just hopefully they will get a nice Colt, and not some ragged out one.

at least we all can say we did it.and had fun with it. and continue to enjoy it when time permits.Colt21a /Ron

Yeah, it is very hard for young Thompson enthusiasts to get their hands on one without mortgaging the future. I just can't seem to let myself spend that kind of dough.

I know now what kind of Thompson I should get, (both shooter & collector) probably a Bridgeport, but maybe something will come along because a 21 is the story.

On another topic I think its funny how many 20s gangster movies and television series are coming out, hope they aren't doing damage to the historical significance of the Thompson, and how so few actually do appreciate it.

Back in 1982 I bought two ex-IRA 21A's from the UK, #609 for NZ$350 (about US$270) and #750 for NZ$1400 (about US$1090). #609 was functional but quite rough as it had been buried and I sold it on. #750 was near new mechanically but only about 80% finish as it had been handled quite a bit by the IRA. I am pleased to say that I still own it. :D

I think Thompson's are fairly liquid. They do not appear to hang around on sites very long, unless they are priced exceedingly high. Anyone who has been tracking asking prices etc ever consider how long they are on the market before they sell. Some recently were on the market for only a few days. Sure, takes awhile for the Form 4 to go thru, but the money is moving far quicker that the paperwork.

Likewise, in a few years it will be the centenial of the "roaring twenties". Guarentee prices will spike as did the folding stock carbine and other WWII items post Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers etc...