TSMG in Detroit Riots, 1967

At a risk of making people lose their lunch by linking to the Gray Lady, here is an article including an image of what appears to be a Colt gun in use at the Detroit riots with a rather unusual sling attachment on the bbl to make it accept a M1907 sling.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/us/police-misconduct-discipline.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

• Upvote 1

I have not seen that photo before, interesting way for the patrolman to be holding that Thompson. Thank for posting the link.

He's left handed.

R/s, Hiller...............

I agree the Thompson appears to be Colt's. I believe he is just resting the gun on his left side with his hand underneath the trigger guard with the actuator forward on a 30 round magazine in what appears to be a lull in the action. While not certain, it appears the fire control levers are set to single and safe.

I am not familiar with the Detroit Police Department but did notice the pin on his collar. The pin is "MTB" if I am reading it correctly. I wonder how that fits in with the Detroit Police Department. I do know from personal experience that radio on his left side is the first thing to go in a fight!

Great picture James. Thank you for posting.

How can the bolt be forward and the the Thompson set to safe?

I'm not sure if you can determine if the safety is set to safe, based on the resolution of the original digital photo. I agree that the fire selector looks like it it is set to single fire. if the safety is in the safe position, the bolt had to have been modified (like some 1928 bolts were) to accept the safety switch.

Detroit PD Thompson-1.jpg

Edited by gijive