New Guy With Dumb Questions

Hello everyone... I Have been Quietly reading the board on and off for a few weeks...My BATF 200.oo check has just cleared the bank...How close am I to being done?? This is my first fullauto so I am anxious.. Its a Savage M1A1 ( all I could afford) US Prop marked. Next Question. I see two oilers for the M1A1 A round one and a small brass sort of flat one with a wrinkle finish which one is correct for the M1A1?? I read the post on the M1 bolt being safer. guess I will need one of those. I Plan to let my kids shoot it some. Thanks for the"air time" .... 2dogsfightin

The time varies - most of mine took around 90 days, however I just had one clear that I sent in on April 17th. The transfer cleared last week.

2dogs:

Welcome! Sounds like a great gun; you'll have a blast. I think it is great that your family will be involved, too. I think, IMUO, that the round oiler is correct for the M1 series, as Devlin suggests. Pictures? Oh, and there are no dumb questions here (unless they contain the word 'white' and 'lettering').

QUOTE (pat k @ Jun 2 2004, 08:26 PM)
What kind of oil for Thompsons?

The oiler is really just an oil "can". Goes in the buttstock. Not to be confused with the breech oiler of the 21/28 series. M1 does not have one of these.

As far as what kind of oil, you'll get lots of suggestions. I use Clenzoil from Cutts to rear buttplate, inside and out, even on my wood.

Congrats on your M1a1. I've been looking for one of those for awhile. Glad you found a nice one, especially with the "US Property" marking. Has yours been parkerized?

Yes has been parked. I know its not "as correct" as blued but I feel lucky to find one. I bought a parts kit on ebay . Has anyone tried any M F S ammo?? I bought a little dab to see if it runs.Thanks for all the input. I will be back on the board when it comes in. 2Dogs

I hope you have better luck than I did, my Form 4 on my Savage M1 took approx. 7 months from the time they cashed my check till the time I received notification that the paperwork had arrived approved. As far as being "as correct", as the firearms were sent back to the arsenals for re-builds they were parked..so as far as I am concerned, it is 100% correct. The biggest thing is that it will be yours and will bring lots of smiles to the faces of you & yours. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

OD--

Forgive me for getting off the subject, but I have to ask. Did you find out what caused the delay on yours? My 28 took about that long also.

No idea Sgt..I sent the paperwork off in August '03 and it was March '04 before I picked it up. I sent paperwork off on my Reising in Nov '03, returned becaused of transposed numbers on the serial number. Correceted paperwork sent back, and the approved form came back at a total time of about 17 weeks ("normal"). The paperwork and the check also got seperated between Chicago and D.C. on the Reising, so that would have been another delay..and yet it took about half the time the Thompson, with correct paperwork and no check seperation, did......and they both went throught the same atf inspector...who knows why it took so long on one and not the other?....why is the sky blue?....why is grass green?...why does everything take longer when there is bureacracy (sp) involved? After all aren't they looking out after us? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

2dogs: Congrats on finding a great Thompson. I know you will love it. Since it has a U.S. Property mark does it have british proof marks? Look on the right side of the receiver in front of the ejection port. P.S. Where did you get that 2dogsfighting name. Reminds me of a joke (no longer politically correct to tell the joke) about how an american indian got his 2dogs name.

You win the cigar on how I got my Indian name...... (had to clean ir up a little for the net).I dont have the m1a1 in my posession its still at my transferring dealer so I cant help you out on the British Proofs yet.

As far as 2dogsfightin goes I use it on gunbroker , auctionarms and a slightly modified version on ebay (2dogsafightin) had to add the a some one else beat me to the origional.....So dont any of you bums bid against the old 2dogs I'll have your scalp!!!! (already lost mine) Later, 2dogs