New Numrich 100 Round Drums

A guy shoved a BAR out of a C47 aircraft window and shot down a Japanese plane once...

But .45 in the air would be laughable

100 round drums would be horrible to have in combat. 50 round drums were quickly found to be undesirable by front-line troops.

In keeping with this, I've read that the British returned most/all of the drums that they were

sent for their Thompsons... and the U.S. military, of course, thought so lowly of drums that they completely

removed the ability of the M1/M1A1 Thompson to even use them. One of the popular reference

books reports that almost 250K drums were ordered destroyed by the U.S. military in 1944 (i.e.,

obsolete/useless for military purposes; not even worth the trouble/cost of storage).

Similarly-- most are probably familiar with the Russian PPPSh-41 subgun, famous for (among other things)

its 71-rd drum; however, it also lost the ability to use drums when it was 'updated' into the

PPS-43 (which uses a 35-rd box magazine only).

Just interesting that most militaries abandoned drums long ago, at least, for most purposes.

(still waiting on some range reports before I purchase one of these new 'C' drums)

Well, got up this early morning and went to range to test the new "C" Drum and it was great fun! Shot two full drums and and it was flawless. For me I really don't care about the history of them, I just wanted the option to have a 100rd drum with my WH Thompson that functioned, first drum I did shoot it in two segments. Second drum about five or six segments. And both ran perfect :D

Don't get me wrong, I love Military guns and their history. I have many of them, WW1, WW2. On my retirement budget I feel lucky to have what I have!

Thought I would not get to test it till Sunday or Monday but went to range and got back before 10:30am so I could get back for family Easter stuff.

20170415_092127.jpg

20170415_092701.jpg

• Upvote 1

thanks for the report.....since they have a good return policy i dont see how you can go wrong buying one of these.......glad to hear yours works...

did it greatly reduce muzzle rise? (i would think 5lbs of ammo would)

Edited by huggytree

Oh man, it's heavy! lol And I don't see me taking it too the range every trip with the Thompson. It's just cool to have the option now.

As far as a Colt owner or WW2 Thompson AO or Savage owner's that have "C" drums for their guns, no I can't see them having to have one of these!

In the early literature Thompsons were shown that they could be mounted in aircraft and on motorcycle sidecars. Here the C drums would be very useful.

I am glad they work, but have been trying to talk myself out of buying one. I would need a pedestal, then a sidecar, and oh wait, I sold my motorcycle a couple of years ago.

This new drum could end up being one expensive accessory.

The Numrich C drum arrived this morning. The fit and finish is good. The drum fits the gun perfectly. The cover fits the pan correctly and the key fits and locks like an original. The rotor is well formed , especially the tips - the rotors in the West Hurley Cs were crap by comparison. This one winds and spins without dragging or scraping. If it "unwinds" as good on the range - we have a winner!

IMG_1757.JPGIMG_1758.JPGIMG_1760.JPGIMG_1763.JPGIMG_1767.JPGIMG_1766.JPGIMG_1761.JPGIMG_1765.JPG

Gents,

Were the drums properly greased prior to your purchase? By any chance was this determined - did they need a good greasing?

Saved round - I've searched the pinned info on canvas and reproduction canvas items, does anyone know of a reputable source for quality reproduction drum pouches? Thanks In Advance

...why can't you just grease it yourself..Or spray it with lube..? Look inside when you open it. Or do you need the NOS grease from 1928?

=P

And a Pouch... Can't think of a circumstance where I'd want to carry more than one, off my gun, dangling in a pouch. Cant imagine they're popular for much except storage...

And you crazed collectors.

Still interested who tipped off the manufacture to go ahead with this...

Edited by Toaster

i thought about a pouch also....but i think shooting it will be so rare ill just keep it in its original box....

i have authentic WW2 pouches for my other 2 WW2 drums....but this one will probably command more $$ in 20 years in its original box...

Gents,

Were the drums properly greased prior to your purchase? By any chance was this determined - did they need a good greasing?

Saved round - I've searched the pinned info on canvas and reproduction canvas items, does anyone know of a reputable source for quality reproduction drum pouches? Thanks In Advance

Try this link for a repro C Drum pouch. Looks like the same kind I picked up years ago. Works fine for carrying around.

https://www.auto-ordnance.com/magazine-pouches-and-slings/thompson-thompson-100-round-drum-magazine-pouch.asp

Mike Hammer

P.S. Looks like they may be out of stock, Oh well

Edited by Mike Hammer

Well, shot the new "C" drum again this evening. And my results were different on the second outing, I was wanting to do a mag dump because the first time with it I didn't do a mag dump. Just wanted to say I had done one. Did not have good results, I loaded it up, pulled the trigger and it stopped firing with the bolt forward after about 15 to 20 rounds. I locked the bolt back and it had not chambered a round. Pulled the trigger again it went about 15 more rounds and did the same thing. Then just started pulling the trigger in short runs till it was empty. The second try did about the same thing. I am baffled since the first outing went perfect? But had not done a mag dump yet!! So hope others have better luck.

Used Blazer Brass today, and used Independence the first outing.

Tired, going to bed

Well, shot the new "C" drum again this evening. And my results were different on the second outing, I was wanting to do a mag dump because the first time with it I didn't do a mag dump. Just wanted to say I had done one. Did not have good results, I loaded it up, pulled the trigger and it stopped firing with the bolt forward after about 15 to 20 rounds. I locked the bolt back and it had not chambered a round. Pulled the trigger again it went about 15 more rounds and did the same thing. Then just started pulling the trigger in short runs till it was empty. The second try did about the same thing. I am baffled since the first outing went perfect? But had not done a mag dump yet!! So hope others have better luck.

Used Blazer Brass today, and used Independence the first outing.

Tired, going to bed

You may just have needed a few more clicks on the winder. Also grease the mainspring, if you haven't already.