Inland M2 with Experimental Serial Number XD43 Surrendered to ATF

I saw this post in one of the groups I follow on Facebook, and thought it would find some interest here. I've included most of the comments below it, and have removed the names associated to them. This M2 should be in a museum. My only hope at this point is that ATF does not destroy it, so that maybe someone can see it again in the future. From what I can tell, the barreled receiver was given to ATF, and the rest of it was kept by the owner. It was supposedly unfired because it had an incomplete chamber...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

M2_XD43.JPG

...this piece of History was destroyed..for the same reason as the M2 below, a local gunshop thought he could help the owner of this rare bird, by calling the ATF to get it taxed...he was wrong.. they agreed to let me remove the receiver, and replace it with one marked M1.. it wasnt on the M2 list, so,,,they turned a rare rifle, that was unfired, and new from the bag...into a 700.00 shooter..do to lack of knowing what they had, and trusting the ATF... how do i know it was unfired? it was had a short chamber, and wouldnt feed a live round.

the owner of this said his granddad worked at Inland, says he has a number of other rare bits, a cut away as well as new stocks, ect..

• I'll never understand why people think that the government is going to help... lol.

• by the way,,, the ATF had someone, stand and watch me remove it, and hand it back to the owner, and told me not to log it in my book, i had him sign a letter to that fact, they take this pretty seriou

• any know how freaking rare this rifle was?? XD?? they were the first carbines made,

• I saw an XD once. It was at a Carbine Club display that included Audie Murphy ' s Carbine and a 24" barreled one that went to the CEO of one of the plants as a presentation piece.

• the owner of this said his granddad worked at Inland, says he has a number of other rare bits, a cut away as well as new stocks, ect..

• For the fact that it could not chamber a round the argument could be made that it was not a firearm, but a display item or training dummy....

• Also, why does the ATF seem to hate M1 carbines so much???

• When in doubt....don't call the government. It's not your friend.

• I dont make the rules, i just like to know them, like i said, i like sleeping in my own bed at night
  • Too bad he isn't rich enough to take the BATFE to court over this nonsense.

• he would have lost... it was marked M2...and the law is what it is...now...if someone had removed the 2 and stamped 1? hmmm, that may be another story

• The law doesn't say "once a mg, always an mg". That's just a rule the BATFE came up with.the ATF is controled by the commander and Chief, since when does any rule they make, feel good or good for us?

David,

Remembering back to the good old days,(late 1970s) when I was a member of the Carbine Collectors Club this subject was discussed every so often.

The general consensus was that the XD ,XF series and so on were never selective fire. They were semi auto only, made to be presented to VIPs.

The only reason they were stamped M2 is because Inland had discarded the obsolete M1 stamp.

Therefore they would not fall into the ATF edict ,"once a machinegun, always a machinegun." There only fault was the way Inland stamped them.

There was some who wanted to petition the ATF to consider the XDs as semi only. At the time Joe Powers was the leader of the carbine club and he believed in keeping a "LOW" profile.

The whole thing is quite ridiculous, but then doesn't that describe our Federal government, "Quite Ridiculous."

Jim C