Value of a Colt Thompson with a replaced barrel?

Back to 5863. We know this will pop up again, so lets have a good look at it. We know the gun was a registered DEWAT. Notw it is a REWAT. The Barrel was replaced. We need more and better photos for the rest of the analysis. From what I could see, I did not see any glaring evidence of any rewelding. The lower reciever looked ok. The stock appears fine as well, but much more photos are needed. I would like to see the nose as stated by others and the grip hanger area to see if there was a tack weld on the former barrel to the receiver. Also need a close up of the interior of the receiver showing the blish lock slots and the feed ramp.

Does anyone know of anything that is known of the rewatting? This could be a good shooter but not at the asking price. The bolt and actuator look like correct parts. Perhaps the blish lock as well. I think for the low 30's this would be a great gun for someone. Especially for someone who wants a Colt Shooter.

Mike if I were you I would offer him a price in the low 30 and see what he has to say. Even if it were a correct barrel, with all the scratches it would me a mid 30's gun. And yes, barrels are out there. They do pop up. Not often but they do. When they do, you will either own this one and get the barrel, or pass on the barrel, because you don't need it. There could be a PD that cuts a gun in the future just like the ones COLT Chopper scored.

We'll see this again on this forum again so we may as well give it a good shake down.

Cheers

Sandman1957.

Edited by Sandman1957

I have a Colt 1928 with a Richardson barrel mounted as well as the original Colt barrel and a full set of Richardson tools to remount the barrel. I'm not looking to sell it but, if I were , would you recommend remounting the Colt barrel or sell it as is with the Colt barrel as a spare?

With old cars - the sum of the parts is usually twice or more what the whole car is worth.

But I am not so sure about a barrel. I think... just my opinion - that of course the gun with the correct barrel would be better than selling it with the gun but separately.

If you decide to sell - please ask what the buyer wants. They may want it left as a shooter.

Then sell me the tools... !

If you decide to sell - please ask what the buyer wants. They may want it left as a shooter.

Didn't allow for the buyer wanting a Colt shooter. That would definitely be better accomplished with the replacement barrel.

The tools would be nice.

I kept talking about changing to a shooter barrel on my 21, but Bridgeport keeps refusing to lend me his pipe wrench.

Edited by mnshooter

Didn't allow for the buyer wanting a Colt shooter. That would definitely be better accomplished with the replacement barrel.

The tools would be nice.

I kept talking about changing to a shooter barrel on my 21, but Bridgeport keeps refusing to lend me his pipe wrench.

mnshooter, I should be the one to own a set of DW Richardson tools so that they are never in the same room with your ‘21 or British ‘28 and your shooter barrels. We just have to find a set that is available.

I dont know much about 1921 colts but how do you know if your barrel is matched if you dont take it off receiver

Barry

Barry,

If you are referring to matching numbers, only the first 1000 or so Colt Thompsons had the serial number of the receiver stamped on the breech end of the barrel. The remaining fourteen thousand guns do not have serial numbered barrels. The only way to identify original Colt barrels is to have seen and studied a good size sampling of them. There are certain characteristics that distinguish them from WWII made barrels, but experience is the best teacher when it comes to identifying Colt barrels.

I dont know much about 1921 colts but how do you know if your barrel is matched if you dont take it off receiver

Barry

I can only say, that if you can remove and replace a 21 barrel so perfectly that experienced eyes cannot tell the difference,

then there is no difference.

Or, you're a friend of Michael's.

Edited by mnshooter

The tools would be nice.

mnshooter, I should be the one to own a set of DW Richardson tools so that they are never in the same room with your ‘21 or British ‘28 and your shooter barrels. We just have to find a set that is available.

PM sent.

The tools would be nice.

PM sent.

gijive, I replied to your PM.