Repro Winchester Model 97/Model 12 Trench Gun Bayonet Attachment

Reproduction Winchester Model 97/Model 12 TRENCH GUN BAYONET ATTACHMENT

I mentioned in another thread I was going to order the reproduction M-12 Trench Gun Bayonet Attachment / Heat shield offered by East Taylor LLC.

I just received it. My first impression of it is very good. Seems to be very well made, and looks to be an accurate copy of the original though I've only seen pictures of originals. Heat shield is very stiff and not likely to bend easily, bayonet adaptor looks nicely machined, it comes in the white so it will have to blued. Price was $175.00 plus $9.00 shipping. I'll post more about it after I have it fitted to my M-12

Here are a few pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/Lancer1717/Board%20pics%202/031_zps0af8e89f-1_zps76e8887f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/Lancer1717/Board%20pics%202/030_zps42255c6d-1_zps2a246790.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/Lancer1717/Board%20pics%202/035_zps45c23663.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/Lancer1717/Board%20pics%202/050_zps67d1da2a.jpg

More pics here.

Edited by Lancer

Nice pics! Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Now, to find someone who can add that stamped W to the finished mount for a finishing touch!

I found the steel used in the handguard portion of these repros to be hard enough to stand up to normal use. They are not soft like some out there. The brass beads on my two like repros have not come loose.

The question was asked earlier about why the original Stevens mounts (and some finished repros) had a purplish hue to them. I wonder if it might be due to the higher chrome or nickle content in the steel used? Don't know, but this just might say good things about the quality of the steel used in the repros.

Added on edit: If you like, I can measure the length of the muzzle protruding from the mount of my unissued M12 so that you can get this dimension right. Also, the securing bolts will likely need to be trimmed if you want the correct lengths. You can look inside the barrel channel of your repro and note how shallow the barrel grooves will need to be. They are not deep at all.

Added on edit: Below is the classic photo of a motivated Marine with his gleaming M12, taken on Iwo Jima, 1 April, 1945. He also carries a large number of grenades. This lad has clearly learned something about close in combat, especially at night!

I always wondered why Winchester continued to use the polished and blued (not black) commercial finish throughout much of the war. Could this have been forward thinking about post war sales? I can see some soldier or Marine examining his newly issued M12 and thinking, "I'll be having one of these beauties when I get home!'

I'm always impressed by the quality of the fit and finish on the M12. On my example, you can see the amazing smoothness of the design by closeing the bolt on an empty chamber. If you then tilt the gun to where the barrel is vertical (muzzle up) and press the unlocking catch, the bolt will slowly and smoothly slide fully open under it's own weight. Perfection!

firearms_shotgun_win12.jpg

Edited by TSMGguy

I , too , am looking to see the completed project . Get some wooden wedges ( I use hammer handle wedges , but I have what's in the shop ) to spread the handguard out when putting it on . Allows for and easier , scratch free instalation. Also grease the inside tube and exterior bbl . Metal can't scratch metal if there is a layer of grease between . Also will help keep moisture / rain from seeping under and causing rust .

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

He is wearing a WW1 grenade vest. It is designed as a shop apron with 13 (?) pockets in two rows ( 6 / 7 ) made to hold 13 of the small rifle grenades that went into the cup type launchers . He has it looped over his shoulder and hung under his arm . It could be filled with hand grenades or shotgun shells , either loose or in 10 rd boxes , or a mixture of the same. There was not a good dedicated carrier for shotgun shells at this time . The 10 round pouch was good for guard duty , but most users improvised using something else.

Chris

Now, to find someone who can add that stamped W to the finished mount for a finishing touch!

Do you know of anyone to do this?

If you like, I can measure the length of the muzzle protruding from the mount of my unissued M12 so that you can get this dimension right. Also, the securing bolts will likely need to be trimmed if you want the correct lengths.

According to Canfield's book, there was some variance on exact barrel length but yes, I would appreciate any measurements you can give me.

As for the sling, I have a vintage 1907 sling with brass hardware that has that "been there" look, I'm hopeing it will look right on the gun.

One thing I noticed on this repro heat shield is the placement of the sling swivel. It is located slightly forward of where it is located on an original. Makes it kind of easy to spot this particular make of repro.

Lancer,

On my 1942 barrel date M12 (938xxx serial number range), the barrel protrudes a very precise 1/16" past the mount, including the crown.

The mounting bolt threads extend an additional 1/8" once through the mount.

You're right, the sling swivel hole is almost right up against the rear edge of the original mount.

I know of no place that can do a proper job of applying the "W".

• 2 months later...

I bought and installed the one Sarco sells for $100 on my 97' , is this one a little bit more rigid?

Sure would like another one for my Model 12 to doll it up.

Since everyone has been after plastic rifles , things like Model 12's have been popping up in shops for under $300.

Lotsa Ithaca's too.

Edited by StooperZero

I bought and installed the one Sarco sells for $100 on my 97' , is this one a little bit more rigid?

I have never had an opportunity to inspect one of the Sarco heatshield/bayonet attachments so I can not speak as to whether or not this one is more rigid. I can say that there is nothing cheap or flimsy about the East Taylor LLC heat shield. It is a quality piece. My only complaint is the placement of the sling swivel as discussed earlier in this thread.

• 6 months later...

Stooper Zero, how does the Sarco one feel? Like is the handguard flimsy feeling where it's riveted on the bayo mount?

I'd really like the East Taylor one as I've read nothing but good things but it's just flat outta my price range even before I blued it! Though I must say it looks slick in the white, top notch! Oh and sorry for necro-posting, I'm finding lil' info about the repros. Thanks.

-Jesse

• Upvote 1