1928 A1 Need Help

Acquired a Thompson 1928 A1 and need to know more about it.

Markings are as follows:

Right side above trigger-

AUTO-ORDINANCE CORPORATION

BRIDGEPORT CONNECTICUT, USA

(There are a bunch of US Patent numbers to the rear of that)

Opposite side above trigger-

U.S. MODEL OF 1928 A1

NO.S- 37****

has Lyman Rear sights

Cutts Compensator

2 Auto Ordinance 50 round drum magazines (only one has the winding lever)

I think the barrel is called a ventilated rib type (don't really know the right term)

Removable buttstock is missing

Functions OK, Full Auto and Single but never really tried a full 50 rounds on Full Auto.

Very accurate on single and I guess because of the weight, hardly any muzzle flip on full.

Questions:

What is the estimated value for this piece ?

Where can I get the removable buttstock ?

Can this piece also use stick magazines ?

Will appreciate any help and can e-mail pics to anyone who can help.

Thanks in advance guys.

Hello JC,

Your gun is a WWII manufactrued Thompson submachine gun made by Savage Arms in Utica, N.Y. Check the grip frame (behind the rear grip) and a serial number should be located there, also prefaced with an S, that should match the serial number on the receiver. If it doesn't match, not to worry, that isn't uncommon for WWII rebuilt guns.

The gun was most likely made in 1941 or 1942 based on the serial number range. The gun will take box magazines (20 or 30 round) and butt stocks are easily located on Ebay or Sarco Inc. The barrell is the earlier finned type and the Lyman adjustable sight is the more desireable type. Those features are correct for an early WWII gun.

Do the drums have an Auto-Ordnance Corp. New York address on the rear or the Bridgeport, CT address? The New York address drums are pre-WWII and the Bridgeport, CT drums are WWII manufacture.

Hope this helps. Post some pictures if you can.

QUOTE (JC DENTON @ Sep 9 2003, 11:37 AM)
What is the estimated value for this piece ?

Is it registered? Depending on overall condition, and other factors, $12k~$15k. If it isn't registered, much less!

Also, NOS stripped stocks are plentiful and cheap. I always see them (and M1 stocks) at the local shows from between $10 and $20. The hard (and expensive) parts to find is the stock slide/attaching iron. (I keep toying with the idea of picking one up to try and fit to my M11...)

Damon at tommygunner.com is making slides for the stocks. I'll let you know in a couple of days when I get mine how it fits. I looked at them at the TCA S&S and they looked great.Hard to tell from the original,except his company markings. Now I will have to pick up a couple screws.....Phil?