Price Range For Savage Wwii 1928?

yeah i know, i saw the FAQ above with the price ranges. i had posted in the how long will it take thread about a dealer i know having an original Savage 1928 for like 10-11k. well i just got off the phone with him and he said he refinished it. new wood. refinished metal. says it hasn't been shot 100 rounds since the refinish. kinda pissed me off he refinished it.

anywho, how much does a refinish affect the price of this gun? when he first told me it was all original, i thought damn! but now its a refinished gun. eh.

opinions??

Jr,

I don't think I'd agree with "at any price"... I would be interested in this for the right price. 10-11K doesn't seem too far off fro a shooter these days I was figuring it to be in the 8-10K range.

But, I intend to use it as a shooter. Leave the rare/unfirable stuff for Arthur et al.

I will re-ask the question - what amount do you de-value a 28 with a re-blue?

I assume it is now Blued - not reParkerized?

Thanks for the answers!

I don't think that 10k is that high for a refinished 28a1. As far as refinishing goes its just up to the person. I would never refinish a colt thompson. I think a military gun is a little different. A lot of them were redone during and after the war. I personally bought one that a lot of the parkering was gone and the wood was bad shape, but there was no dings in the metal. I had it reparked and put new wood on it,looks like new. Its just a personal thing

STeve

nobra,

Exactly! It would seem that after a Savage 1928A1's orignal bluing was replaced by an application of original military parkerizing, it doesn't matter how many subsequent reparkerizings, or rebluings, the gun was subjected to when value is concerned.

Giant,

Just because 90%+ condition Colt 1921/28's have orignal bluing and parts does not mean they are "unfireable". It is just that it seems unnecessary to further diminish the condition by burning up 1000's of rounds through it. Considering there are many examples of Savage, Bridgeport, and West Hurley 1928's whose value are not impacted by replacement of worn out parts from shooting, why take a chance with the few remaining Colts?'

Heck!

West Hurleys are going for tenK now!

Saw a 28 Savage last weekend at a local show for 16K with one mag!

My '28 A.O. Bridgeport was reblued by the previous owner. I got it VERY reasonable and I shoot the heck out of it!!

Depends on what you're looking for.

john

I think I saw where Jerry Prasser (Recon Ord) has a unmolested 1928 for 13K. You might get it for 12K. Thats what I am talking about, why buy a refinished gun when for 1 or 2 more grand you get it like it came out of the factory?

Jr

Just read this ad on a pre sample

"""""""""""""NFA Market Board

WTS Pre 86 Thompson M1A1 $5800 + Extras

Posted By: JoshC (cache-rl07.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 12/14/03 10:19

WTS Presample US Prop Marked Thompson M1A1 with extras, $5800 plus shipping

Unit comes with a NOS kaki sling, (1) 20rnd and (2) 30rnd mags. I should have pics in a few days.

Terms are half down with remainder when the paperwork clears. If you pay 100% of the asking price up front, I will toss in a complete demiled M1A1 parts kit, yes a $500 item.

For those than dont know, you have to be a NFA dealer to buy this item.

Thanks, JoshC

""""""""""

This is however a M1A1, but just FYI.

Jr

For a M1A1 that's about right. I bought an AO in "like new" condition last year for 4800.00

Another listed;

Pre86 DS M1A1 Thompson: very good condition, mismatched serial numbered lower (finish wear matches upper), protected rear sight, wood very good, slight ring in barrel, bore is excellent, no pitting on gun, with one 30rd magazine. $5400. NIW WWII barrel available to buyer for $160. Parts kits also available to buyer for $425.