1921 Colt

QUOTE (sargent @ Feb 14 2006, 11:18 AM)
what would a matching colt 1921 parts set be worth
i thought about taking it in trade for bulldozing work

Might be easier to say what the job is bid then everyone can say yeah or neah.....

QUOTE (sargent @ Feb 14 2006, 12:58 PM)
$30,000 but i would only deduct what its commercial value is what kind of price range would it be in?

sargent,

Recent advertisements for Colt Thompson parts kits have been in the $6,000.00 to $7,000.00 range. They don't come around very often, so it is hard to place a value on them. It depends on how bad the buyer wants the parts I would think.

QUOTE (gijive @ Feb 14 2006, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (sargent @ Feb 14 2006, 12:58 PM)
$30,000 but i would only deduct what its commercial value is what kind of price range would it be in?

sargent,

Recent advertisements for Colt Thompson parts kits have been in the $6,000.00 to $7,000.00 range. They don't come around very often, so it is hard to place a value on them. It depends on how bad the buyer wants the parts I would think.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/iagree.gif

How many members have ever seen an early recessed 1921 Actuator? One with the riveted 28 weight must really be uncommon. Arthur, have you seen many of this variation? I have never seen one like this. I would think that would be a real find.

My 28' Navy has a '21 actuator that had the weight added, you can see the seam in it. Also, you can see the two polished down rivets when the bolt is forward and in the gun.

Arthur/Jim

Both of you are the lucky ones!

Jim, based on your post, I think Arthur is referring to a slightly different variation of the 28 Navy riveted bolt, but I am not that well versed in the early and late colt part variations. I will let Arthur chime in on this if he senses a difference.

It would be interesting to know the just serial number range of your guns, i.e., early, mid or late production. My guess is a mid production 28 Navy for Arthur and late production 28 Navy for Jim - but I am guessing in an area that defies logic.

I believe the serial number on my gun is 6845 or somewhere in that range.

QUOTE (sargent @ Feb 14 2006, 11:58 AM)

Tell him that Sportsmans guide has parts kits for less than $600 that were made on the same machines as the parts kit in question.

Tell him that a parts kit in relation to cost of a transferable is around 3% so offer him a thousand dollars worth of consideration for the kit. No Colt kit is worth much more than that. After all Gordon H can reproduce unmarked parts for really cheap.....

QUOTE (John Jr @ Feb 16 2006, 01:05 AM)

Tell him that Sportsmans guide has parts kits for less than $600 that were made on the same machines as the parts kit in question.

Tell him that a parts kit in relation to cost of a transferable is around 3% so offer him a thousand dollars worth of consideration for the kit. No Colt kit is worth much more than that. After all Gordon H can reproduce unmarked parts for really cheap.....

First off, aside from the very first 1940 Thompson's manufactured on the machines Colt used, WWII Thompson's were manufactured on new and different machines using new and different tools and gages.

While the market is currently being flooded with surplus WWII parts for Thompson, carbines, etc, I am not aware of anyone stumbling over a warehouse full of surplus Colt TSMG parts.

It's always reassuring to see someone promote fraud in the firearms collecting hobby.

It's always reassuring to see someone promote fraud in the firearms collecting hobby.

http://www.pregnancy.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/121liwlol.gifhttp://www.pregnancy.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/bottom.gifhttp://www.pregnancy.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/080402ouch_prv.gifhttp://www.pregnancy.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/121liwlol.gif

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Feb 16 2006, 10:42 AM)

Tell him that a parts kit in relation to cost of a transferable is around 3% so offer him a thousand dollars worth of consideration for the kit.  No Colt kit is worth much more than that.  After all Gordon H can reproduce unmarked parts for really cheap.....

First off, aside from the very first 1940 Thompson's manufactured on the machines Colt used, WWII Thompson's were manufactured on new and different machines using new and different tools and gages.

While the market is currently being flooded with surplus WWII parts for Thompson, carbines, etc, I am not aware of anyone stumbling over a warehouse full of surplus Colt TSMG parts.

Its the same equipment, moron. Look it up.

QUOTE (John Jr @ Feb 16 2006, 12:10 PM)

Its the same equipment, moron.  Look it up.

Hey, I'd go easy on the moron bit. You're bulb has been dim since you arrived here. Not to mention you're benighted commentary, complete with pathetic cut and paste bits, speaks volumes about you're limited capacity for critical thinking.

When you manage to raise your reading comprehension above you're 5th grade special ed level you might stumble across these facts.

The early Savage 1928's were initially built using the same tooling and equipment as Colt used. But Maguire purchased other second hand equipment that was either rebuilt or in need of being rebuilt to deal with the war time contracts. There was no way the machines that Colt solely relied on to turn out 15,000 TSMG's were going to produce two million TSMG's.

Maguire also relied on Pratt & Whitney profilers, milling, drilling, and filer machines, some of which dated back to either the Civil War or WWI.

But what Maguire did insist on was the manufacture of their own in house made tools as well as fixtures, jigs cutters and gages.

Tell him that a parts kit in relation to cost of a transferable is around 3% so offer him a thousand dollars worth of consideration for the kit.  No Colt kit is worth much more than that. 

If your giving your opinion that Colt parts kits are only worth around one thousand dollars, that's fine. But in reality you are completely off your rocker!! Complete Colt kits sell quickly in the 6 to 7k range.

I sold Colt '28 Navy parts kit a couple of years ago for $6,000 and most of the guys on this board were besides themselves and went on and on about it.

WOW.. to the guy i sold one to about two year's ago for $2,000.00.......do you feel ripped off?? i have always tried to hold down price's,to a acceptable level....that help's new blood enjoy the fun....

however let loose the dog's of war!!

let "thompson greed " live forever.......

till one day the last thompson collector around spouts out... i can't afford it anymore.........save us from ourselve's!!

now that i know all of this high priceing....the only fair thing to do is ask $10,000.00 more each per gun..when i decide to sell anything in the future...

because we cannot let the market go into a tailspin now....wink!!

i am glad i have been awakened from my slumber.and i have been shown the true light...and the evil from my old way's.....and to stray into the path of goodness and the big greenback!!!

take care,ron

P>s and i had three of the so called early navy actuator's,one in a gun sold to hal spiro.{GOD rest his soul} another to mike steven's in ind>{GOD rest his soul}

and jerry at recon {recently}$300.00 so they are rare....but not that rare....heck i had three.no brag just pure fact and reality!