Got The Story On My M1a1 Mismatched Lower

I finally went back to the veterans house armed with the M1A1 and Franks book. I asked the veteran (Mr. Farmer) what happened to the original lower...he said that gun is as i got it in '43. i asked are you sure...according to this book it should have a lower with different attributes such as pin selectors and a cross drilled stock.

That is when he realized "oh yeah...i like those 28 selectors better than the pins." "I traded with my buddy Conner...because i was used to the 28 selectors and i messed up my stock"

It is a good explanation but i am disappointed that it isn't "original"...the color between upper and lower (both original finish) match extremely well...so i guess it is "original" in the sense that they are era correct and have personality since it was wartime practice

Oh well...it works good!

http://www.darklightimagery.net/thompson/bryan/LHS%20lower.jpg

Well, considering the recent "Oh yah" by Mr. Farmer, Tilotta is not alone. There is no documentation on this M1A1, other than the explanation Mr. Farmer wrote in his application to register his M1A1 during the amnesty period. He might have thought the ATF would be sufficiently impressed by the Guadalcanal story and therefore, hedge his bet for a quick disposition. Parkerized finishes are not like bluing, their gradients of color on different parts/guns are not going to be that far off.

USMC:

What a horrible story. How can you possibly stand looking at that, let alone shoot it! Damn shame if you ask me.

Listen, we're all friends here .... let me take that nasty thing off your hands. You wouldn't want your family or neighbors knowing that you've got a mongrel living in you home ... now would you?

It's a great gun, even with its seedy past! Enjoy.

CJR

USMC-; Hold that gun close, & kiss it for all of us, for the freedom it brought.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif ........What a beauty !....................jw

USMC-2-USN,..I have a 28 Savage with a mismatched lower...pins etc.,...serial no. ground off,PK says he can restore with any number....maybe we could trade...give it some thought and keep me posted ,TIA.

QUOTE (USMC-2-USN @ Feb 1 2004, 06:58 PM)
That is when he realized "oh yeah...i like those 28 selectors better than the pins."  "I traded with my buddy Conner...because i was used to the 28 selectors and i messed up my stock"

It is a good explanation but i am disappointed that it isn't "original"...the color between upper and lower (both original finish) match extremely well...so i guess it is "original" in the sense that they are era correct and have personality since it was wartime practice

Oh well...it works good!

Better to have one that actually saw action than one that was pieced together. In the quest for the perfect matched weapon we forget it's the men that we should remember too. Consider yourself one lucky S.O.B., she's a beauty.