Drum Cuts On M1a1?

i've been thinking about Drum Cuts on a M1A1. it got me to thinking. would drum cuts on a M1A1 take some value away?

some dealer told me drum cuts on a M1 isn't good as the receiver is different than the 1928's and it could weaken the receiver. could it? i think drum cuts on a M1a1 would lessen its value some, but i don't know. what do you guys think?

Craig

Yes, the M1 can be modified for drums by cutting the slots front & aft of the mag well but, the receivers are different in this area than the ‘28 and you must also cut away most of the 45 deg. opening, and that will weaken the receiver as it leaves less “meat” than the ‘28 has.

Is this loss of structural strength going to lead to failure? Probably not in a gun used for recreational shooting and treated with the respect afforded most privately owned firearms. I can not see that it will do any thing but cause a loss in value however.

The better answer is likely to get a modified drum to fit the stock M1 receiver.

The customer is always right however (after he has been given the facts); it’s your gun, its your choice.

It cuts the price by at least $3000. I did see one many years back that was broke either because the cut was done wrong or the reciever was too weak at the point. It cracked the reciever, it probably could have been fixed but at that time I knew nothing about the Thompson's or PK. It was before I could afford them and it was in a shop's back room.

Craig, don't, but, do as PK suggests, and adapt a drum to fit your M1 instead........I adapted a drum to fit a semi, and it worked well, and you can do the same...some drums are tougher than others, but where there is a will there is surely a way....jw.....

Craig: DANGER, DANGER! If you adapt a drum that has a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds to fit your gun the drum must still be able to fit and work on the gun it was originally designed for or you commit a federal felony by manufacturing a post ban high capacity mag, which is a NO, NO! (Federal Felony). http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif

Modifing a Thompson drum to fit a M1/A1 is no problem...it will still work in the original gun it was designed for.

A PPsh drum I think JW is talking about is, get your design work perfected on a drum that is cheap prior to cutting a WH drum.

Don't think a PPsh drum will feed 45ACP very well, it's bullet ways are a tad on the small side being designed for 7.62x25! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

i don't have an M1a1, i did a handshake deal on a savage 28 tonight. i posted a thread on it. i was just wondering as someone posted about a WH m1a1 with drum cuts. i think it drops its value some and could damage the receiver, i just wanted other people to chime in.

thanks

Craig