Dillinger Museum in Crown Point, IN

Pictures please if allowed. Lot of historic places there. The booking area where the famous " movie star " pictures were taken, where he had his arm over Estill and was giving the pistol hand pose. A lot smaller then people think. It's been a long time since I was there-

Have fun.

Edited by OCM

Rob- The area where JD and the rest were standing is like a holding area. You can see the jail door behind them & in the picture I'm sending. There is a stairway that is in front made of wire mesh that I think they bring the prisoners down. Also some cabinets and the old booking desk. A whole mess of people were crammed in there when Movietone shot the film. They brought him in there to be interviewed briefly. Everyone smiled laughed at jokes and all . Couple lost their jobs over this.

Some friends of mine got a private tour about a year ago when the museum was under construction. When Helmer & I were there, about 25 years ago it was an abandoned building, you could just walk in at your own risk which we did.

Wish I was going too.

Edited by OCM

Sandy,

Well, we just got back today....a gruelling 3,630 miles round trip, covering 11 states altogether. It was tiring, but it was a blast! :D

Sadly, the old jail was closed when we got there on Sunday, but we were able to make the museum 1 hour before it's closing for the season, so we took in that. I've got some photos from the museum, the old jail, the Biograph and the fateful alley in Chicago, all of which I'll post once I get them all downloaded.

Stay tuned! :)

Rob

Rob-

Since you missed the inside of the jail, here are some friends of mine, with the curator of the place, at the same historical spot that Dillinger was standing in January 1934. They are comparing the old 1934 photo, with it today. There were two Movietone cameras in 1934, recording the event, but audio was not allowed. ( why ? ).

A very small space, everyone was crammed in there like sardines. 30 days after this happy event took place, Dillinger walked out with Thompsons # 7387 and # 6444. AND 5 1/2 months later he was pushing up daisies -

You can compare the two, then & now sorta thing. ( jail door in the rear )

I've included an interesting overhead view of the group in the same spot- A rather rare shot, taken from the stairs above- You can see the two movietone cameras in front, taking the films- I imagine not a lot of folks have seen this one.

Sandy

bald319.jpg

Edited by OCM

OCM: maybe the reason for the lack of sound was that newsreel cameras did not, at that time, have the ability to record sound and did not use "sound track" film. I don't know, as this isn't my "area of expertise" -- not sure what my area of expertise IS! LOL -- but that is a reasonable guess. . .Or maybe the officials didn't want the public to hear all the joking and laughing and stuff!

Those are great photos, Sandy!

Although I couldn't get inside, I did snap some photos of the front rooms and the staircase in the foyer...those two picture windows are huge.

I've been busy getting back in the groove around here (post-vacation funk), but I'll get my photos up soon.

Rob

Audio was common in 34, lot of newsreels & interviews were filmed with audio. They have a film ( with sound) by one of the guys Dillinger took with him on the escape from Crown Point, a garage attendant.

This just wasn't done with audio. I've seen two different versions of the interview from the two different cameras. Punch up Dillinger Crown Point on YouTube if interested, old B&W film.

Looking forward to your Post-Vacation funk photos of Crown point etc. Been awhile since I was there.

Audio was common in 34, lot of newsreels & interviews were filmed with audio. They have a film ( with sound) by one of the guys Dillinger took with him on the escape from Crown Point, a garage attendant.

This just wasn't done with audio. I've seen two different versions of the interview from the two different cameras. Punch up Dillinger Crown Point on YouTube if interested, old B&W film.

Looking forward to your Post-Vacation funk photos of Crown point etc. Been awhile since I was there.

I suppose there are no recordings anywhere of Dillinger' voice.

Not that I am aware of. Dillinger was filmed in Tucson, Chicago( alive & dead) and Crown Point, but no audio in these.