Book - Robert Bruce's U.S. Automatic Weapons Of WWII (Seeking Info

I was caught off guard this morning, on a whim I did a search on Robert Bruce's books over on Amazon. Came up with the usual two book; Machine Guns of World War I: Live Firing Classic Military Weapons in Colour Photographs and German Automatic Weapons of World War II Live Firing Classic Military Weapons in Colour Photographs. Both are great books, often the first I reach for when researching Clasic Class III. Often wondered why Mr. Bruce had never published any other books in similar subjects. And to my surprise I found "U.S. Automatic Weapons of World War II: Live Firing Classic Military Weapons in Color Photographs"!

Facts:

- Title: "U.S. Automatic Weapons of World War II: Live Firing Classic Military Weapons in Color Photographs"

- ISBN: 13: 9781859151556

- Author: Robert Bruce

- Publication Date: Nov 1998

Now for the shocker, the price for a used copy on Amazon was $375 and on a few other rare book sellers in the thousands. OK I am crazy but not that.

Does anybody have a copy? Is it that good? What are the weapoins covered?

Wish it would come back into print. Have Frank's book on Thompsons, Bruce does not cover the BAR in the WW-I book. Assume it covers Thompsons, Reising, Browning 1919s & M-2 50 BMG and maybe the M-2 carbine? Or should I just buy Frank's book, Hard Rain: History of the Browning Machine Guns?

Thanks in Advance

Paul

Paul,

I don't recall seeing the U.S. WWII book. I looked it up on Amazon, but no image is available. I have the other 2 live firing photograph books by Robert Bruce that you mentioned.

Perhaps it was a very limited printing. Many times when there are no examples available for sale on Amazon, speculative prices are fielded until market forces begin to bring things back to reality. While I have not seen the U.S. WWII live fire photo book, I can't imagine that the prices you mentioned are anything but speculative. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's my opinion, based on significant experience in the book collecting and selling field.

I'm moving this post to the book and manual forum...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I have seen instances like this where the book does not actually exist. It may have been planed to have been published but actually never was. Someone contact the seller of the supposed 1 book for sale and ask him for photographs.

Mike Hammer

I have seen instances like this where the book does not actually exist. It may have been planed to have been published but actually never was. Someone contact the seller of the supposed 1 book for sale and ask him for photographs.

Mike Hammer

Mike,

That thought did occur to me. The book has ISBN numbers listed on Amazon, but I suppose they could have been anticipatory, if the book was planned to be published. I'm not familiar with the exact process involving obtaining the ISBN number itself. The fact that the other two Bruce books have been reprinted in softcover, and are currently available lends to the theory that the book may not have been published.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 3 years later...

Update, Run into Robert Bruce at the SAR - East show in Harrisburg PA. We discussed the book, and he said he never did a book on US Automatic Weapons of WW-II. Too Bad.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...