Question About the WWI-era Remington Flare Guns

Big Al

I am a bit confused about this. I have seen, for example, the Remington Mk III flare gun listed online in various places as a C&R firearm. But, it is a flare gun, which normally has no requirement for licensing for ownership. Is it considered a firearm, or not? What is the truth on the matter?

On a side note, can it even stand up to firing factory 10 GA ammo? Just curious about that last one.

Thanks, David. I appreciate your input. If anyone else has any knowledge to share, please do.

I found another one listed elsewhere and that seller also stated it was a C&R gun. I did not check to see if the Remington Very Pistol is listed in the C&R publication by the ATF. If a 10ga will drop in and fire, I am guessing that's the reason for the determination, if that is the case.

- Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Big Al:

The Remington Mark III does indeed show up on the BATFE C+R List published in 2007 at page 38. I have not spent the time to chase down the question as to whether the Mark III or any signal pistol is properly classified by the BATFE as a firearm, but the IRS does not consider signal pistols to be firearms and they are not subject to firearm taxes. At one time it was considered to be an item that required compliance with the National Firearms Act, but that is no longer the case.

On the related question as to whether it can be considered a destructive device take a look at the useful discussion on the US Militaria Forum a while back: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3640-pyrotechnics/

The Mark III was not designed or intended to safely shoot factory 10 gauge shotgun cartridges. Anyone doing so runs the risk of serious injury, in my view.

I hope that info helps you.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks, ordnance guy. That is exactly the info I needed. I knew that signal pistols in general were not considered firearms (I bought a Geco LP2 from Numrich Gun Parts Corp, thread here: http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14517). I was just wanted some definitive info about the Remington since people keep referring to them as C&R and it seemed like the similar situation with Chilean M1895 Mauser rifle. That being that all M95s, regardless of serial number prefix letter, marked Lowe were made between 1895 and 1897. After that, the company was reorganized and became DWM. DWM guns that have prefixes from A to at least H are antique (verified by the date stamped on the buttstock). That being the case, I still see Lowe-maked M95s for sale listed as C&R. You would think people who are listing these things online would also do some research to properly classify what they have.