Dillinger Death Mask

Ok, all this BS on photos of photos and copies of copies got me thinking, what would a Gen 3 death mask be worth. $50, $75, $150? More, Less?

Here's a stolen photo of one I'm looking at;

s-l1600.jpg

50 bucks- If it has a date of 1934 or JHS on the back it's one I made. Back in the 80s I made a mold using the same techniques as the original was made, then cast some copies off that. I used the original relief I had that was cast from the original mold. Kinda looks like one I did, but the hair has been enhanced .

Death mask making.jpg

Mike if you have to have one for display why not. I sold my first gen from the original mold before it was sold at auction in Chicago to that collector in England for 10 grand.

So anything for 100 bucks why not. Since we all can't have a original. And if OCM did it that should last.I saw a guy who had one who painted it to look real flesh tone and red. He ruined it, And was asking well over $500 for it back when.

Probably sitting in some dorm room closet now in a cardboard box gathering dust.

good luck in the purchase. Colt21A Ron

Here is an old post on the subject. The mask you've shown, someone has added extra hair and mustache making it appear fuller, so the one you show is a much altered later casting. As far as the painted one that Ron mentioned, wasn't mine, I've never offered one for sale.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15426&hl=%2Bdeath+%2Bmask

Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer

Mike those are really nice Cagney looks good. Had a old client back in Chicago over 35 years now. who kept up with Cagney and talked and sent letters to him always wanted his Roaring Twenties and White Heat Tapes that Cagney sent to him and signed them. Along with a T.V. GUIDE signed.

It is always best to get the things when you can.. since they are all going quick.Olivia is still hanging in Paris ole Charge of the Light Brigade one of my favs of Errol and Objective Burma. great film and great classic music. never to be duplicated today. Colt 21A Ron

Cagney, yeah a really great guy. he signed a photo for me back in the day. Olivia was even nicer. Many years ago when my film poster from "Robin Hood" arrived at her Paris apartment slightly damaged, she went out of her way to purchase a heavy plastic tube for it and paid the extra postage to get it to me along with a nice letter and wonderful inscription on the poster. They just don't make 'em like that any more, pure class.

Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer

Helmer & I ( and a gal from Playboy as a diversion) went to the Chicago Police Department to seek some information, hoping someone would open up. We got skunked.

However they did have on display on the second floor a Dillinger death mask and a Baby Face Nelson death mask. Also the original booking ledger with Dillinger's name as one of the entries.

I got a picture of the display in files somewhere. This was back in the 90s sometime.

OCM

• Upvote 1