Oops Unloading A Jammed Kahr Drum

Got 3 of the drums and had PK check them out. Loaded, wound it up and it did a 8 round burst then nada, but rattle and a shell fell out- I done went and obviously loaded it wrong. Net result is I have a 2/3 loaded and wound drum that I need to open. What is the best/safest way to do this? ON an AK mag it has a clutch and can be opened after pressing it but I can't seem to find a spring release-I am sure there has to be something but I wanted to check here first before I pull another boner.

Mark

You can pull the top off a tommy drum, do it slow just in case the round has struck and jammed on the top. The drum will only jump to the next round in line. No biggie, I take the tops off mine all the time with rounds in them.

Alrighty then I will have to give it a whirl- I hope that is not a bad choice of words. I am not sure yet what I did wrong, I filled the channels with rounds like one would do with an AK style drum but I did something wrong.

Thanks for the word.

Mark

OLD FALGUY, You didn't have to load one of these drums wrong to get that result. That is what these kahr Crap drums trade mark is jamming! Spent 4 hrs at my dinning room table with file ,dremmal tool and fine grit sandpaper in hand to cure all the ills my drum had. The guide rails in the body and lid were misalined The rotor rubbed on guide rails in body.the rivets set to high and the lid fit to tight. Was pushing rds out with eraser end of pencil. Would jam every four or five rds to start with. Removed lid at least 50 times in the repair process to try and find were the stoppage was. After much flustration and determination I got all the bugs out. I could push all rds out manually without a jam. Also winding to 13 clicks instead of 11 helped. After all this went and test fired in my beautiful WH 1928 . I was rewarded! Did 3 mag dumps with no jamming. Good luck with yours.

I got to try one of my drums out last weekend, but I was using blanks. About every 3-5 rounds, it would stop and I would find a round had turned sideways just before the exit port. It seemed to work better in semi than full auto. When winding, there was no discernable difference in the clicks as there is in my original or WH drums. I think the spring is too weak, also. I'll try live rounds next time and blanks in my original to see if I have any problems related to the blanks. I'm also going to look for the problems that Wildwilly found and see if I can effect a solution.

Opened it up (only lost one eye so I am good to go) and found 2 rounds laid down???????? Reckon those guides aren't quite narrow enough to stop it or they laid down from being handled after the jam. WIll have to try try again.

Mark

First thing I did with mine was to pull the rotor and run a cartridge base all the way through the spiral a few times to see where it stuck. Brass marks indicated where the tight spots were so I made a wooden wedge and made some adjustments (insert/twist) until it took the cartridge base all the way through without binding. MAN! These things are a lot tighter than any of my GI drums!

Anyway, put it all back together and took it to the range.

It made it about 35 rounds on 9 clicks, so I reloaded and wound it up to 11. It made it to 45 rounds and jammed (I suspect it was a positioning error on the part of the feed lips and not due to cartridge caught up in spiral)

Another fifty made it through just fine on 12 clicks so that's where I'll run it until it's had a cjhance to break in a bit! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

I MAY touch up the feedlips with a TIG welder and tighten up the slot a bit, but it seems to work now, so I may leave it......

john