Tommy Or M1 Carbine ?

If you were going into action during WW2 would you rather have an M-1 carbine or a Thompson ?

Be objective (if possible http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Funny,

had been talking about this with my Dad just a few weeks ago.

I was comenting on the underpower of the carbine. He said that he saw quite a lot of mess created by the little carbine!

It had a bit of range to it, light and quick. Recalled one on a marine non-com with a sawed off buttstock.

But, he would rather have his .45 Thompson, again, for the knockdown, and the rampant "tumbling"

as he called it that the bullet would make at a certain range. He said the destruction from a .45 was incomparable

with other small calibers.

Note: he was a 20mm. aerial gunner on landing ships in the pacific, and followed up by stating that more then once he turned his twin barreled twenties beachward. He recalls actually lifting a beached truck on Saipan while laying down covering fire with that puppy!

But his Thompsons were his favorites. Two Savage Navy 28's by his description, finned barrels, horizontal foregrips, Cutts and four L drums and a case of XX's. He was issued one by the Navy and traded a Samuri sword for the other.

After getting wounded and evacuated out of Saipan, both vanished along with his trusty 1911 he wore in a shoulder holster at all times...

He really wanted to bring home one of those Navy T's, but such is such!

Best, Zamm

Thompson

The carbine is light and handy but the 30 rounders for it came out way to late i.e. 1945 or 46ish. A Thompson you had your choice of 20, 30, or 50 if you had a 28. I've never heard of a Thompson failing to fire from cold but heard it more than once about carbines. One other point is my arms are longer than some and the Thompson points better. ( the 10" not the 16")

just my .02

BB

I like them both. In 1993 I purchased 8 M1 Carbines through S.O.G. for $140.00 Each. Those were the good old days for sure. I also purchased the same number of Garand Rifles for $200.00. Of course this was way before the import ban took effect, increasing the prices. All mine had been imported through Arlington Ordnance. Overall, nice rifles. The Majority of 30Rd M1 Mags are those imported cheap Chinese copies that aren't worth a damn. USA Mags also produced 30Rd Magazines too, but those proved even worse than the Chinese crap. Genuine USGI 30 Rounders are from $30.00 to $100.00. Though if I had to pick one for battle, it would be an M1 TSMG. Love the '21/28, but an M1 Thompson for me...

This is my first post hello to everybody. Having shot both I would pick the M1 Carbine its light and handy for close-up stuff, its not a real trick to hit a man in the chest at 100yrds or bust his grape at 50 with it. 15 round magazines in a fast shooting semi is plenty of capacity plus the mags are compact, light and easy to carry. I know during WWII many soldiers disliked it when comparing it to the power of the M1 Garand but others like Audie Murphy, Lt. Col. George chose it when they could have carried whatever they wanted. Jim Cirillo of the 70s NYPD Stakeout Squad is reported to have stated that its the only weapon to have stopped every criminal shot with it, after one shot during use by the Stakeout Squad.

I like TSMG but it has several draw backs that make me chose the Carbine, first is the weight 10lbs plus loaded mags, the length of pull is to long for me and the fixed sights make adjustments difficult( I know the adjustable carbine sight came out later). The overall poor ergonomics of the TSMG make quick snap shooting difficult for me which I consider to be very important in a combat role.

Mike D.

Edited by mike735

Welcome Mike!!! This is a fun board to be on.... Just hang in thru our family squabbles and you'll learn a ton-o-info...

I agree on many of your points... I would rather carry a carbine thru the jungle, but for close up firefights I think the Thompson would be what I wanted in my hands.... And you're right the length of pull is to much for all but really BIG guys as far as I'm concerned...

Welcome again!

Blaine

For me, it would be the M1 Thompson. I have had a lot of fun shooting the carbines I used to own. But, there is something about the .45 round that realy impresses me. I fully understand the range is not so great, but I would much rather have the knockdown power when I needed it. General Gavin, of the 82nd AB, got rid of his carbine the first chance he got because it was continually jamming. Of course, he picked up a Garand in its stead.

Scott

First off, welcome mike735! Like Z3BigDaddy said, it's a fun board to hang out on. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif And considering a few other boards out there, the "family squabbles" seem quite mild to me. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif You will gain a wealth of info here.

Now regarding going into action during WW2 would you rather have an M-1 carbine or a Thompson ?

I'll take the M14E2.

Sorry, someone had to be the funny man! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Sounds like you should have opened the choices between Thompson and any other weapon, including AK. If I were going into battle, I have to choose the Carbine, mainly because of weight and distance shooting. If I were on guard sentry, and I used to do that a lot, I would definitely choose Thompson. If I had any choice, it would be the AK, a very evil fighting machine.

Uhhh Weren't we talkin WWII? Ak's and body armor? Oh well I guess if I was built like Jesse The Body I would take that cute little General Electric XM214 Minigun he used with the guvenor down in the jungle...

http://mail.roadfly.com/z3bigdaddy/1987_predator_001.jpg

How about the best of both worlds? Lets see: Thompson = select fire; M-1 carbine = light weight. Why not pick the M-2 carbine. You get select fire and light weight. Or better yet M-2 carbine, with modified m1a1 (folding) stock.

Hard to beat a smooth running 28...life or death...I`d pick the Thompson...2nd choice...my BAR... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Remember this weight is with you ALL day EVERY day. Not just for an hour at the range.

I would choose the carbine w/paratrooper stock, for weight, range, accuaracy, compactness and reliability.

This added with the ammount of ammo one can carry (as opposed to .45 acp) and the inability to waste it with full auto fire.

My reeenacting web gear carries 15, 15rnd mags. Thats 240 rounds total with one mag in the weapon. I have worn this web gear with a full load of live ammo: there is not that much weight and very little bulk added to your body.

To match this you would have to carry one of the following for Thompson

12 'XX' mags,

8 'XXX' mags

5 'L' drums.

I think this would add a considerable amount of extra weight and bulk to ones frame.