On This Day In 1934

Bank robber Lester Gillis, known as Baby Face Nelson, killed in a tommygun shootout by FBI agents in Fox River Grove, IL. While Nelson was able to kill the two lawmen involved, his naked body was found the next day containing 17 bullets.

I apologize to make this correction, but the shootout was actually in Barrington, IL. Fox River Grove is the next town over (some books list it Barrington, some Fox River Grove). There is a monument erected on the site honoring agents Hollis and Cowley. I've been there a couple of times to pay my respects, as I live less than 10 miles from there. One of these days when I get a digital camera, I'll take a pic of it and post it (hear that, Mr. Claus?). The site is right behind the MacDonald's on Route 14, in a city park.

Those 2 agents, by the way, were part of the team in the Dillinger shooting at the Biograph. Hollis was one of the agents that shot at Dillinger; Cowley was the team leader but wasn't at the scene.

There was an article in the local paper some years ago, an interview with a old telephone repairman who saw the whole battle. He was going around repossessing telephones since the dpression-era folks could'nt afford to keep them anymore. He vividly remembered the 'white-blue smoke coming out of those guns". I should've saved the article.

Ron

ron i've got the book on lester a real good read.when helmer and myself visited.{on a secret mission}the chi-town private archive's..we turned up a few nice item's...that story bring's back some memorie's from 1989/90 for me..good time's...

now if i only can locate mr. chase's "colt 1924 monitor" he had in the car...uummmmm!!and yep it was there,mag's and casing to prove it. take care,ron

QUOTE (TommyGunner @ Nov 27 2005, 08:46 AM)
his naked body was found the next day containing 17 bullets.

And he kept on going. Like that silly pink rabbit. Baby Face as a pink bunny- video

Long before PCP or Angel Dust! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

• 3 months later...

7:55 AM March 10, 2006

Valpo inmates help rebuild old jail cell

Associated Press

VALPARAISO, Ind. -- Inmates are finding out what their conditions could have been like as they help put together a 19th-century jail cell on display at the Porter County police headquarters.

The new owners of the former Court Restaurant donated the cramped, iron cell with two fold-out bunks and a door that can be difficult to open and close, Porter County Deputy Chief Dave Lain said.

Sgt. Tim Emmons said it didn't fit in any longer at the restaurant, which was being remodeled.

"(The owner) didn't want to just trash it, so he called us to make an inquiry," Emmons said.

The cell started being displayed Monday in the lobby.

"I walked out there and, all of a sudden, there was jail cell."

Lain said the cell likely was used originally by police in central Illinois. It will become a permanent display and contain other historical artifacts that could include a 1921 Colt Thompson submachine gun stolen in a 1934 jailbreak by bank robber John Dillinger, Lain said.

Dillinger stole the gun when he broke out of the Lake County Jail in Crown Point in 1934, but it was returned to Porter County after Dillinger's death. Lake County had been borrowing it at the time Dillinger escaped.

The gun has a reported value of $1 million. Lain said he will keep it secure in the cell by locking the cage and running a cable through the trigger guard.

Lain said he wants to lock the cell with two 19th-century era padlocks and place a mannequin inside wearing a 1950s-era police uniform.

"I just could not see this thing going to the scrap heap," Lain said.

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Mar 16 2006, 11:22 AM)
QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Mar 16 2006, 12:30 AM)
Upon completion of that diatribe I rest my case...    LOL

PS somebody tell me if I'm over the top....  Don't want to jump the shark here...  I was joking btw just in case if everyone didn't get that....

Here's some more "diatribe" for you.

To answer your question, you're over the top, and have been for a long time. Each time you launch one of your tasteless personal insults, you are "over the top". You seem to be the only person who doesn't understand this. Nobody is provoking you, or forcing you to do it. You choose to be what you are.

All the time you spent cutting and pasting and parking that graphic and text explains to people who and what you are. No "imploding" there. My pointing it out now only reminds them of what they already know, I suppose. You are in control of that whole equation.

You need to "rest your case" before, not after you launch these repeated and unprovoked personal attacks.

Then afterwards, when you can't think of a socially acceptable explanation for what you did, you repeatedly try to float the "I was joking" line.

I'm not joking when I say that your behavior choices on this board brand you as a misfit. Your actions define that, not my saying so. My reaction to it doesn't make me a "deranged psychopath". Nobody is picking on you, in calling you when you do your nasty thing. You are the problem, not your targets. When confronted, please don't then whine to board members, as above, and try to elicit supportive comments for what no decent person would support. This has been your standard, established pattern here. Why not just stop doing it? Then there would be nothing to debate.

Right now, you are the only guy on this board doing this; you are in a class of one. If you had good judgement, that would be a class of zero. Nobody is forcing you to be what you are, or stopping you from being what you should be. Just you.

Everybody "got" exactly what you intended in your original insulting post. It isn't rocket science. It doesn't require any explanation as to why it was a "joke" or how, as in one of your other variations, "some people just don't uderstand (your) humor." They do. You're the only guy who doesn't seem to understand how it plays...in the perception of the average gentlemanly, civil guy on this board. Again, the only thing stopping you from being one of those is you, but apparently this is a big hurdle to jump.

I still can't quite figure out what holds you back, but I guess that's what keeps the multi-million dollar counseling business afloat.

But please remember this. Until you start making better choices, each time you indulge this bitter mud slinging compulsion of yours, it's going to be rubbed in your face. I don't expect that many people will regard me as being "deranged" for deflecting some of it back at you, in trying to motivate you to not do it.

And to anybody who thinks that saying all this is a big waste of time, no it isn't. Not if it motivates you to clean up your act and keep this site a happy, peaceful place for everybody. You disrupt that, over and over and over. Pointlessly.

But you’re so easy to piss off... It‘s like inviting Darryl Strawberry over for dinner and leaving crack cocaine out on the dinner table, the temptation is just too great. And really I don’t base my life on what others on this board think of me. I think everyone here is mature enuff to make their own conclusions of the other kids in the Thompson sandbox. Well most everyone that is.....

If you are concerned what others think maybe you should go back and re-read your postings here. You eclipse even the best when it comes to negativity and the ability to mock people en masse. Such as the people stupid enough attempt to get in on the SG drum buy..... You’re constantly posting denigrating comments on those threads and you don’t even have a horse in the race. It’s just you sitting on the sidelines making fun of those who do. Oh that’s right you were just “joking†right? On other threads you are just down right mean. Wolf Ammo etc.. Give me a break Mr. Righteous. Go back, read you old postings with an open mind and you may be scheduled for an epiphany...

Last post and read in this thread...

Blaine out

Back on subject kiddies...........

March 18--Albert Anselmi and John Scalise are acquitted of killing Chicago policeman Charles Walsh {1927};

Clyde Barrow is recaptured in Middleton, Ohio {1930};

In Chicago, John Paul Chase, former associate of "Baby Face" Nelson, becomes the first man convicted under federal law of killing a federal agent {1935};

Lloyd "Red" Barker, last surviving son of Ma Barker, is shotgunned to death outside his suburban Denver home by his wife Jennie {1949}.