Q On S/n's

OK, learning more about my new chopper.. I guess it isn't a bridgeport guns after all, the S/N has an S prefix. This means Savage made it, correct?

Also, it was sold to me as an AO gun with Savage parts (fixed up after the war I guess), but the upper and lower have matching S/N's. Is there a S/N anywhere else I can look for, to see if the gun is all matching? I assume this increases value slightly?

Thanks!

F3C

QUOTE (Hawkeye_Joe @ Oct 30 2004, 08:21 AM)
You will have to remove the barrel and front grip rail to find the "Secret" serial number http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Serious, or are you just messin' with me? If so, can I do this myself? I definitely want to know if all my #'s match. Also, how much does having a "matching" gun effect value over other?

The serial no. on the receiver under the grip rail is the same as the one on the side of the receiver unless the receiver side number was changed. "Secret no." is to detect what the number really was when alterations are made (e.g., number ground off on the receiver side). If there's no apparent alteration, I wouldn't bother looking under the grip.

I'm assuming that you have a Savage-made M1928A1; information is kind of sparse on your original post. The gun should have a Bridgeport address on the receiver, even though the Savage plant was in Utica, New York. McGuire's Auto Ordnance Corp. was headquartered in Bridgeport, where the AOC plant was later opened. If the serials are applied in exactly the same size, style, and depth on both the receiver and frame, it is a matching numbered gun, as the same dies were used at the same time and by the same person to apply the serials at the factory.

I wouldn't try to get the gripmount off; it's a bear of a job, best left to those with specialized knowledge and the proper tools. Also, the original targeting of the gun would be effected, which you'll probably find to be "right on", unless the gun is worn or has been damaged.

It was not uncommon for AOC guns to have a large proportion of Savage-made parts. Savage-made guns will normally have almost all parts marked with the Savage "S" except those typically made by subcontractors, including the sling swivels, actuator, wood, rear sight, and compensator.

Matching serials probably mean that the gun never went through a depot level rebuild, as no effort was made to keep matching numbered receivers and frames together during these overhauls. To my mind, matching serials really enhance the value of the gun and the enjoyment of owning it, although these days with so few guns trickling onto the market, choice is really limited. TSMGs get sold immediately for the big bucks that would probably get passed over if it weren't for the cache factor.

I hope that you enjoy the gun for years to come!

My WH28 does not have a second serial number on the trigger frame,my 21 does ,but my Savage 28 used to until the arsonal rebuild...but soon will have it again thanks to PK and a little of his magic...so matching numbers on a wartime built Thompson is rare and a good thing for you...HTH... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Oct 31 2004, 11:00 AM)
Is that right?  I believe all the 1928A1s made in the WW-II era have the hidden number under the grip mount, as mine does, although I'm not sure about the post-war WH guns.

PhilOhio,

All the Savage and Auto-Ordnance made 1928A1 Model guns had the serial number stamped under the grip mount slot on the front of the receiver. I haven't examined every gun made, obviously, but every 1928 receiver nose I have seen has the number stamped on it. The WH guns did not have the serial number on the grip frame or under the grip mount slot.

The M1 series guns didn't have the serial number under the grip mount slot, either.