Tracking Down A Thompson

as a favor to my local police chief. i am trying to track down any of the three thompsons that the department purchased back in the thirties. no one knows for sure when they got rid of them , but it was believed to be in the late 70's or early 80's. he has been trying to find the old paperwork to get the serial #'s but is not having much luck.

the guns were purchased when john dillinger was seen in town , and thought to be staking out the local bank.

shelbyville p.d., shelbyville, In.

the best info i could get said that a dealer bought new revolvers for the whole department, maybe 12, and some shotguns in trade.

i know this isn't much to go on, but i figure it's woth a shot

thanks for any info

I'm getting the chance to see a colt (possibly tomorrow) that is at the State Pennitentiary here in North Dakota. I doubt it is one of the colts you are looking for, but it is a unique opportunity to be able to view the gun. There were some early Colt guns purchased in this state and it may be one of them. I have a copy of " American Thunder" to bring with for reference and I will be allowed to photograph the gun. Are there any other things I should look for besides the information I have in Frank's book? I've been able to learn a lot on this forum, but I'm far from a Thompson expert. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Uncle Dudley

Uncle Dudley,

Note the serial number, obviously, in case it is not in the previously published Thompson references (Cox, Hill, Herigstad, et al).

Check to see if it has the original buttstock. It should have a nickel colored slide ctach and a tiny anchor logo near the front edge stamped in the wood.

Check what type compenstor, if it has one, first or second model. 1st model will have no markings, 2nd model will have the Cutts diamond logo on top front edge.

Check for any unusal proof marks.

If it is a 1928 Navy Model check actuator to determine if one piece or two piece.

That's about all I can think of at the present. Maybe some others have some additional ideas. Take some nice pictures!

Thanks, gijive, I'm not sure what you mean by the 2-peice actuator. Are you referring to the "H" peice that fits into the angled slot of the actuator or the cocking handle. (I'm looking at an exploded veiw of bolt parts). I have a very good digital camera that takes excellent close-ups (macro). Uncle Dudley

Uncle Dudley,

No, I am not referring to the Blish lock (H piece).

The original two-piece actuators were made from the original 1921 actuators. The weighted piece was riveted and welded to the original and they are nickel colred with the exception of the knob portion and front end. The second type were one piece actuators similar to the WWII variety 1928 actuators. Of course, this may be a moot point if the gun you are going to see is a 1921 Model.

Post the pictures when you can.