Army Accuracy Test

I was just reading an interesting article in Shotgun News about machine guns (the hyde inland M2). It mentioned the "standard" army test for the subgun as a 6 foot by 6 foot target at 50 yards. Shoot 100 rounds at full auto. Record the hits. The article stated that the M1 hit 50 in tests and the 1928 hit 49 of its shoots. The hyde inland M2 hit 99 of 100.

I guess its not terribly important, I was just interested if anybody can confirm that this was the type of test the army actually used.

Dan

Geez, that is horrible. Out of my 28 I get 49 out of 50 on a 16 inch plate at 40 yds. May be they shot the guns one handed? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Pat

0-1-25

Ron-The article is in Sept. 20, 2003 issue. You will find the article about Knobs Creek very interesting as well (it is in the same issue). My WHM1 shoots better than that also

The article, in the latest issue, was written by Frank and was very well done. As to the test results, I suspected the army had a very strong bias towards a new gun and wondered to myself if the results were rigged. I know I can score more hits than that with my eyes shut. I'm not knockin the Marlin I just do not believe the reported inaccuracy of the Thompson but then we all know according to the Army the grease gun was vastly superior to the Thompson (Unless you've fired one that is).

Looking at a reproduction of the first catalog thompson made (I bought it from Numrich) is a page titled...

"Reproduction of official United States Government Plot Sheet" from Feb 14,1922.

It shows a target (but doesn't give the size) fired at from 100 yards. Firing bursts in full automatic the thompson put 199 or 256 shots on the paper. Suppose the U.S.Army automatic gun target is 6X6?

Frank maybe since you wrote the SGN article you could provide the details.

Thanks

Dan