Long Term Storage

I have a possible job opportunity that may take me overseas for a year or more.

Are their any good long term storage solutions (i.e. reputable storage companies) for firearms, given that I can't take 'em with me.

QUOTE (Dirk67 @ Jan 11 2005, 10:05 PM)
There is an older gentleman who keeps his transferables in a safety deposit box in the bank. He has been doing it for 20 years he claims.

.02 cents woth

DAW

I don't think putting it someplace that "you" do not control is a wise choice... jmho

Blaine

aka Z3BigDaddy

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Jan 11 2005, 07:20 PM)
I don't think putting it someplace that "you" do not control is a wise choice... jmho

Blaine

aka Z3BigDaddy

It's my understanding that ATF has no problem with keeping NFA weapons in a safety deposit box. You do have control because YOU have one of the keys.

Regarding long term storage.... It would seem to me that as long as the guns are not subjected to the elements a good coat of oil on everything would be sufficient.

Just my 2 cents

A bank safe deposit box is LEGAL, says so right on the BATF website.

There are two keys but the bank has only one, they legally can not get in without the one you have.

If they did go in they would have to drill out the lock.

I have LEGALLY down this with full knowledge disclosed in writing to the BATF.

I don't recommend it though as it is a PAIN in the A___.

Also the banks have provisions that basically say they want no dangerous items in the boxes, but how are they going to know that unless you tell them?!!

If you passed away ( god foebid ) the bank will lock out everybodys access to the box !! till they here from the courts.

See Ya

Tino

Last post on this.... roadking makes a good point, when you die it can be sealed. With banks being bought and sold some people are losing things when banks transfer boxes.... Although I would hate to be the bank president trying to explain why they misplaced a registered full auto weapon. All I'm saying is with the two keys is that you don't decide the day and time you have access the bank does.... I'm not in anyway suggesting that it is illegal to put it in a safe box...... As for the bank rules... There is a reason why when you go to your box the person helping you will turn their head and specifically not look into the box as they do not want to know what you have in there. It's a big liability item to them.... I'm sure if you do some type of google thing it will explain it better than I can...

Cheers,

Blaine

Don't know why, but reading this thread reminded me of an old cartoon drawing of a seedy looking character waiting patiently in a teller line holding a Thompson and a large leather valise. The caption of the drawing was "Failure to grasp the concept."

Appropos of this, my contribution:

Presentence statement of defendant found guilty of attempted bank robbery for entering bank premises carrying TSMG --

Defendant:

Please your honor, I'm completely innocent. It was never my intention to rob the bank, I was only there to put my Thompson in the safe deposit box.

Judge:

I must tell you I find your story one of the most creative defenses I've heard in my 23 years on the bench, and that level of creativity should not go unrewarded. I therefore sentence you to twenty years in a facility to be determined by the Bureau of Prisons, with an additional five years added for your creativity. But please don't think of it as prison - just think of it as a kind of "safe deposit box." This court is adjourned.

Moral: If you decide to store your TSMG this way, it **might** be a good idea to cover the bases beforehand with bank officials, the FBI, the ATF, and whomever else might tend to be less than credulous in the event you're obliged to explain yourself. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

I actually took mine to my bank when it came in. The Mgr. and I had talked about my getting a NFA Thompson when I was opening the accounts and when it came in I thought it would be cool to show it to him...I was right......I put it in the FBI case and carried it in when making my deposit. After doing my business I went to his office and I showed it to him. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif After putting the L drum on he took it out to show the tellers and told them all that they weren't getting any raises that year.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

My $0.02.

Some banks (Wachovia for example) have gone to "self entry" to the safety deposit boxs. You get two sets of both keys! You cannot get in unless the bank is open. Also if someone gets a complet set your keys, they are as far as the bank is conerned YOU and have full access to the box! My bank's branch office also has small privacy rooms for the use of the safety deposit box customers -- no one else can see what you re putting into or taking out of the box.

I would also suggest that you should check our your local and state laws as they may be a law against storing the gun at a place other than your residence. I may be wrong but the way I read the VA machine gun law, I can only store my guns in my home.

I stored two in a bank safe for 25 years and they came out fine.

I greased them and wrapped in heavy gauge wax finished paper, inside a sealed wooden box - built for the purpose.

Laws can change though - not allowed anymore in Canada as the police want to be able to check storage whenever they want.