26 replies to this topic

#21 shadycon

shadycon

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Surviving modern times

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:23 AM

Is that a cut just in front of the mag well?

#22 R67

R67

• Regular Group
  • 285 posts
  • Interests:WWII US Uniforms and Equipment, College girls, and Thompsons of course....

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:37 PM

I am sure there is both a slot, and a screw or two holding that grip onto the horizontal with some glue as well between the joint.  I would like to put forward the hypothesis that this may have been done on a ship with the help of a Navy carpenter. 

#23 shadycon

shadycon

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Surviving modern times

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:14 AM

I meant a vertical cut on the receiver..............

#24 Adg105200

Adg105200

• Board Donor
  • 693 posts
  • Interests:Ww2, Thompsons & many other guns, hunting, fishing, tools, woodworking

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:29 PM

I meant a vertical cut on the receiver..............

I see it. Not sure what it's purpose would be though. Interesting

Andrew

#25 StrangeRanger

StrangeRanger

• Regular Group
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:56 PM

I think it's just the way the sunlight is reflecting off the flat side of the barrel boss vs. how it is reflecting off the radius cut.  If you zoom in on that area, there is no step showing at either the top or bottom of the radius cut which there would be if it were cut deeper

#26 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2589 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:31 PM

I think it's just the way the sunlight is reflecting off the flat side of the barrel boss vs. how it is reflecting off the radius cut.  If you zoom in on that area, there is no step showing at either the top or bottom of the radius cut which there would be if it were cut deeper

Exactly right.  It is just the way the light is reflecting off the curved area of the receiver front.  No machining was done to the front of the receiver just to attach that wooden grip.

#27 Adg105200

Adg105200

• Board Donor
  • 693 posts
  • Interests:Ww2, Thompsons & many other guns, hunting, fishing, tools, woodworking

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:51 PM

Exactly right.  It is just the way the light is reflecting off the curved area of the receiver front.  No machining was done to the front of the receiver just to attach that wooden grip.

Oooooh. I see it better now. Now it makes sense :)

Andrew