Model 6/Thompson Mag Adapter Picture Anyone?

Hi All,

Does anyone have a magwell adapter in their M6 to use stock Thompson mags? I heard of one someplace but can not remember where. If anyone has one, a few pictures might help me out.

Seeing I can't just shake my wallet hard (very hard) and get mags from Samco AFAIK, I fit a Thompson mag into an ugly Ingram that was sitting in the safe.

Anyway, I've been sketching it up. It looks do-able. It replaces the trigger guard (since mine is missing) and has its own mag catch to fit the Thompson mags. The hard part right now is that you have to take the old mag catch out to put the adapter in place. I can't wait to try it out. If that works, I think a tungsten weighted bolt is next. Not trying to make a GG out of it but a bit slower might be nice.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Grasshopper

It's not an adapter, unless I'm not aware of such a device. It's a modification to the TSMG mag itself. I have 3 of them, however only 2 of them will latch into the gun reliably. I haven't had time to troubleshoot the 2 mags that don't latch. If you want me to take photos of the mags, just let me know.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Hi All, Well I think I have the basic design done and drawings. Going to cut some metal to see if this works. You can see the Thompson mag catch on the toggle. The Thompson mag rib goes between the two legs in the foreground. The trigger guard replaces the M6 guard. Fingers crossed this thing works as M6 mags appear to have gone extinct. Ok. That and I can tell the front from the back on the Tommy mags easier :) Thanks David on the offer of the modified magazines. I'm going to try to use unaltered Thompson mags. Might have to change a small part in the top of the lower to allow for the bolt-hold-open on the Thompson mag to clear. For now I'm just going to alter a rusty old follower to clear. If all goes well I may have it range tested in about 2 weeks. Grasshopper

inguard_small.jpg

Edited by Grasshopper

Hi All,

Ok. My handle is Grasshopper for a reason. I'm always learning something. Slowly.

I got the mag adapter prototyped and installed in a gun. I did have to cut the lip on the top front of the Thompson mag back about .030". It glides right in and locks up & releases very nicely. Thought I was home free but

I'm sure the RKI's are out there smiling now. The diameter of the "nose" on the M6 bolt is larger than the Thompson bolt nose. I had only grabbed the lower on the M6 at first and didn't look at the bolt when I started the project. Bolt hits the back/feed lips on the Thompson magazine.

Well, I had planned on a tungsten weighted bolt anyway. I'm starting on that now as well as extractors as I don't feel like moving parts between bolts. I just have to decide if I want to clearance the "nose" diameter of the M6 bolt to clear the Thompson mags or reduce the OD of the nose to match the Thompson bolt. I'm thinking clearance notches in the M6 diameter bolt nose to fit over the magazine lips. Don't worry. I will not be cutting on any original Ingram Model 6 parts.

Back to the drawing board.

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

Hi Doug, If you don't consider it a trade secret, did you have to drop an end mill about the diameter of the nose on the M6 bolt into the back of the Thompson mag? I also found my 22RF Thompson mags fit nicely. (Sorry about the poor photo.) I'm working on a dummy bolt to see if the 45 ejector is low enough to get the 22RF bolt nose in place. Back to work, Grasshopper m6_22s.JPG

Edited by Grasshopper

Grasshopper,

I'll have to borrow one of the modified mags and take some photos, but as I recall all I did was:

1. Mill the T slot on the back of the mag off so it would fit the well.

2. Braze a piece of 1/8" bar stock for the mag catch & hold the mag together. That was what the jig was for.

It was a very simple process.

Doug

Hi Doug & Dave,

Doug, thanks for the info on the mods. I was adjusting the height of the Thompson mag in the M6 and it did look as if it would just work w/o cutting extra clearance for the nose on the M6 bolt. Since this particular M6 is missing some parts, I'll keep the new Thompson mag catch/trigger guard in place and adjust the height of the catch and give it some range time.

Doug & Dave, Thanks for the info on modifying the Thompson mags. That will certainly be handy as I'd like to put more range time on the Ingram Model 6's. I was stunned by how reliable the gun was in factory configuration (after spending time with a Reising 50). The M6 was gobbling up old target handloads with 200gr SWC's. It would feed anything I tried.

Thanks again,

Grasshopper

• 10 months later...