Original Finishes On WWII Thompson's

Plus all guns left the factory with a blued metal. Because of some of the older process, some appeared almost black. Looking like black oxide finish. The parkerized finish was done after a weapon came back to be reworked for what ever reason.

This question surfaces from time to time.

All WWII Thompsons, both M1928A1 and M1 variations were factory blued using a process called Dulite. Period. Phosphated guns are rebuilds.

This doesn't necessarily detract from the gun, as the rebuilds were carred out at U.S arsenals and overseas by FN. Serials will seldom match on phosphated guns as no effort was made to keep the originally matched frames and receivers together through the rebuild process.

For many years almost everyone believed that at least some WWII TSMGs were produced with parkerized finishes, pointing to the very high quality of the phosphate finish on various observed specimens. The evidence uncovered more recently does not bear this out. I had to change my mind about this question as well, in light of the more recent research.

You'll note that the phosphate on your gun (if that's what it is; the original dulite was applied over sandblasting and can resemble phosphating) probably extends to the barrel and compensator. Cutts turned out no phosphated compensators. They were furnished finished in blue and assembled into complete weapons by AOC or Savage. Same story with barrels. None were produced in phosphate during WWII. Each piece of each gun was made and then finished prior to final assembly, which is why you see so many small variations in finish on each piece of an original Dulite gun.

On your gun, the phosphating may be a very even in color on the comp, barrel, and receiver, as these componants were most likely not disassembled prior to refinishing.

Much the same thing has happened with WWII trench guns, most notably the Winchester M12. All were produced with a high polish commercial grade blued finish, but many were refinished after the war with phosphate finishes. As the refinishing process (part of a through overhaul) was done at US arsenals and was of very high quality (as with TSMGs), many of us naturally believed that the phosphate was original. Factory records uncovered in more recent research confirm otherwise.

I hope Nick or Frank will weigh in on this one. Take care!

I remember readin it the Thompson Colector news a report of ten Thompsons that were parkerized, this was tried out but they felt the parkeried finish was too rough and slowed moving parts. I remember Parkerizing a #4 Enfeld that had most of the black paint worn off, it was a bit rough until I soaked it in Break-Free and then it ran very nice, there were probly at least 10 that were parkerized at the factory but I think it's safe to say the predominince of Thompson's were blued.

BB

Perhaps your gun was a left over that was not built in the wartime production, but was finished later(like some early WHs) and was sold to the PD? Just an idea that would explain why the upper and lower was parked while the rest was blued.

Pat

0-1-25

PhilOhio,

Your Thompson sounds just like my Auto Ordnance Bridgeport 1928 AC Thompson. The only markings on my gun are as follows. On the top of the receiver is the Thompson Bullet logo, The right side of the receiver is marked Auto-Ordnance Corporation Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA, still on the right side of the receiver under the rear sight it is marked US Patents and bunch of numbers. The left side of the receiver is marked Thompson Submachine Gun Calibre .45 Automatic Cartridge and Model 1928 AC No. AO1357XX. The US was ground off as well as the 1 and restamped C. Both the upper receiver and lower receiver have matching serial numbers. There are pictures of this gun on the picture board.

Thanks

Roger

Phil,

Thanks for you information. I am not sure what the military acceptance marks look like so I cannot tell for sure that the gun doesn't have them. Also what I meant by the picture board is the Thompson photo gallery on this board. Sorry I should have been more clear about that statement.

Thanks

Roger

Phil, you ought be working for some politician; what a spin doctor you would make.

LOL I think I need some of that therapy and will make an effort to get some soon.

Thanks for the tonic. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

If its China Marker, mineral spirits & an old tooth brush should take it right out. If its paint, acetone or MEK should dissolve it with no ill effect to the bluing. I would never use any mechanical scraping device; you will damage the finish in the lettering. No matter what it is, there is a solvent that will cut it.