Unusal Xx Box

I just got some more XX boxes, the usial WWII Auto Ordince Corp markings but as I was cleaning the cosmoline off them I found an oddball. It's marked...

PATENTED - AUG. 24 1920

AUG. 24 1920 - JAN. 11 1921

I've heard people talk about patent date mags but as I'm more interested in the WWII side of the history rather the earlier use I've never payed that close of attention. My only referance for magazines is American Thunder.

Is this a "patent date" mag?

what company actuly made them?

what is one of these worth relatively? (i.e. should I save it or use it as a shooter)

Thanks,

BB

Bisley45,

Yes, that is a Patent Date magazine. Those were the magazines originally sold with the Colt made Thompsons in the 1920's and '30's until Savage and Auto-Ordnance started production of WWII Thompsons. They are more collectible than the WWII variety because they are harder to locate. Lots of them went to Britain prior to Lend-Lease when the British ordered their guns directly from Auto-Ordnance prior to US involvement in the war.

As far as relative worth, it depends on the condition. I've seen many that were parkerized after WWII. If it has the original blue finish and is on very good to excellent condition it is worth at least double that of the WWII variety magazines. If it is a beater, use it as a shooter. It's probably not much more valuable than a WWII magazine.

They were contracted by Auto-Ordnance for the Colt guns and most are unmarked as far as manufacturer. I forget the initials of the company that made subsequent runs of magazines after the initial Colt production, but the manufacturing marks can be found on the inside of the rib that runs down the back of the magazine. You have to remove the floor plate and remove the spring to view the marks.

Speculation is that the early ones were made by Colt, but they may have been subcontracted.

I saw dealers at the SAR show who had patent date mags in reasonable condition for 100 bucks and they would not budge below $60. Any patent date mag in good condition is worth keeping, even if it is to use for later trading with.

Thanks guys,

my patent date mag is blued, 80%+ finish. I wouldn't hesatate to try it but think I'll not take it on the rough and tumble trips into the briars after fox or groundhog.

BB

Just got back from a show in Birch Run MI, a guy had one of these or $40. I own it now - for a whole $36!

Not mint - blueing faded at the top, but in excellent cond!

I had to look thru all 9 of his other 20 rounders, and there were a bunch of Auto Ordnance marked ones. How much do you think they are worth? I thought $30 max, he wanted $36 or more! Show is still going on tomorrow...