Full Auto Thompson .22 Video

Well, we talked about the 22 thompsons a while back and so I finally am ready to post a video. Here is my 1927A3 with post sample modification to full auto (basically a broadhead armory type change). 50 round drum. Takes less than 2 seconds to spit all of them out. Its a real bullet hose, you can saw a branch in half pretty easy. Lots of fun.

Hopfully my web site it up to this video. I'll probably delete it in a day or so, if anybody with more bandwidth wants to copy and repost it here, that would be great.

http://home.rconnect.com/~danlaura/sitebui...iles/22drum.mpg

That was COOL! God, anybody want to take a stab at the cyclic rate of the piece??

Best, Zamm

Hey Dan,

That was real cool.

20+ years ago, I had a 1927 A-3 and I was lucky to get 6 to 8 rounds through it without it getting jammed.

It's great to see yours running like that. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Dave

Its almost as much fun to watch the video is it is to shoot. I have found that the biggest thing about making this gun run is the magazines. I can't get the 30 round bannanna clips to shoot very well, just too much play and it they aren't in the right place, well its not gonna feed. The straight sticks are solid and shoot very dependably.

I've relieved the ejector slot just a little so you can get the magazine a little bit higher and that also helps the feed.

About every other drum will shoot all 50 rounds, sometimes the bolt outruns the drum, and about equally often the bullet nose catches on the top of the chamber.

Compensator fills up with lead pretty fast, about every other drum you need to clean some out.

Dan

Excellent video!

You are making me really start to consider a .22 kit. Where can I find one and how much should I pay for it?

Ceiner is about your only option (other than building your own). I've seen exactly three of the numrich kits sell in the past couple years and they went for $250 on up. I actually think it would be better to pay somebody to make a custom one, address all the issues with the ceiner kit.

Must...... have...... one..........

That is about wicked. I have a Ciener kit for the M-16 and an American 180. Both are great when they run, but I have about decided that the .22 stuff is just temperamental , regardless of the host weapon. Best ammo I have found is the mini-mag and the Remington target ammo for the M-16. Val Cooper recommends mini mags or the Federal hi-velocity for the American 180. I have decided that the key to getting a .22 MG to run is ammo with a consistent powder load.

Nice toy!!

Ken

Way to go, Dan. Gotta add my WOW! to the post. Cheap to shoot and lots of fun. It sounded like the American 180 going off. I remember you chamber that one with ".22 short magnum" and it would run 'er up to 1800 rounds per minute!!! Remeber the brochure with the quad configuration? Bizarre.

You know, I remember seeing a picture of that somewhere, 2 drums stacked, in a sales brochure. I wonder how the feed actually worked.

A former neighbor of mine in Nebraska, a veteran state trooper, told me years ago that a county sheriff in NW Nebraska bought a 180 and had 0% feeding problems, EVER. Whether or not he had the stacked drums, I dunno. The gun was an interesting design.