WTB- Thompson M1A1 Stock Set

Hi,

I have a nice original dulite US Property Marked M1A1 that is very nice but someone took the liberty of refinishing all the wood to a high gloss finish. I've tried to refinish the stocks with little success. I purchased a stain from over on the CMP boards but it's just way to red for my taste. In any event I am looking for a excellent quality original matching stock set for my M1a1. Please let me know what you have and price. Bob in Colorado.

Please note: I show as a newbie here but I had registered years ago and lost track of my original sign on credentials. I was also a frequent poster over on the old subgun boards. I was digging through the safe and realized I need to upgrade the Thompson to a better stock set so figured I come here first.

It's a shame to have to purchase a replacement stock set because of color. I know Birchwood Casey and Miniwax should have Walnut stains that should reproduce a WWII Thompson color without having too much red in it. I know others here have had experience getting very nice refinished results. There is also a topic on wood refinishing in the Pinned threads which you may want to look at first before shelling out money on a new set.

MH

It's a shame to have to purchase a replacement stock set because of color. I know Birchwood Casey and Miniwax should have Walnut stains that should reproduce a WWII Thompson color without having too much red in it. I know others here have had experience getting very nice refinished results. There is also a topic on wood refinishing in the Pinned threads which you may want to look at first before shelling out money on a new set.

MH

I think I used minwax on a front handguard I made for my American 180. It came out better than I expected. I originally going to do linseed oil and such but since it came out decent, I left as is.