UD-M42 What part is the registered receiver?

As I wait for my UD-M42 to transfer (expect late summer) What part of this is the registered reciever? I do not have a ton of photos on it, but I only see a SN on the lower. Is the "tube portion? the registered reciever, or is it the lower reciever?

By the way, I am good on single mags. Still looking for one double mag.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

The tube is the registered/ regulated "receiver" part regardless of whether or not it's marked, in the case of NFA regulated items like these. Not every firearm is marked on the "receiver" for various reasons by the mfr. Or in the case of AR-15's which are not marked on the receiver, but the mag well like a real sten. Or in other words, all receivers are firearms, but not everything defined as a firearm is necessarily a receiver. Common sense generally dictates that if it "receives" a barrel and cartridge it's a receiver, if not it still may be classified (incorrectly) as a firearm in the eyes of specific agencies. HTH

There can be more to it than the above. There are some variations in the serial number markings on UDs. Generally the serial is stamped in two places: on the lower behind the trigger guard and on the smaller OD forward section of the receiver, forward of the magwell. What can be confusing is that there often is another number on the right, rear side of the lower, stamped in identical font and application to the trigger guard number, but it is a different number, sometimes a few digits off the other number, and sometimes a lot different. Sometimes the number on the side of the lower was used for registration. In the case where that has happened, a registrant can write a letter to ATF with pics of the receiver number and indicate that the receiver number is the number and the lower number is not.

There are quite a few other examples of MGs that have numbers stamped on the receiver that are not the actual serial number, and the odd number has been used for registration. FWIW

Thanks,

So my take from this discussion is that the registered NFA portion SHOULD BE the upper reciever / barreled portion, and NOT the lower unit.

A little more to the point, buying a parts kit with out a cut lower is good to go, as long as the upper reciever is missing in total, or torch cut.

Cheers

Sandman1957

Yes, that's correct. For both Title I and Title II firearms the convention is that the receiver part of the firearm is the serialled and/or the controlled part.

As noted above there are Title II firearms, MGs in this case, that were originally manufactured with the ID and serial on other parts and not the receiver. Also, ATF/NFA, after the GCA '68, designated the lower on some MGs as the controlled part rather than the receiver, for example AR series of guns where the ID and serial is on the lower. Depends on the design and construction and the location of the ID and serial, and other considerations specific to the type of gun. Lots of variables, of course. FWIW