New AO 1927 sight vs original Lyman

I started a project to convert a new semi Kahr/AO 1927 to a 1928 look alike. I am going to do the SBR paperwork for the short bbl and have a GI mag catch and select fire/bolt stop switch added. I am going to add an original grip mount so it will take GI furniture up front. I will also swap out the Kahr removable stock with and original GI that has the oiler compartment.

I have been considering adding an original Lyman sight also.

How close are the standard Kahr/AO sights on the new 1927 compared to an original Lyman? Are new sights bad enough to warrant the expense of an original Lyman?

Thanks,

TC

If and original Lyman 55B sight is a 10, then the cuurent semi auto

sight is maybe a 6. The ladder is like a M1917 rifle sight with a little

lever to push to slide the apeture, but there is no windage adjustment.

Overall the quality, fit, and finish is less than an ofiginal. Only you can

decide if the extra expense is worth it....

Bob

Thanks Bob.

I guess if I am adding the other correct features it makes sense to close it out with a proper Lyman sight.

I tried to find some good photos of the Kahr sight for comparison, but I could find any that provided any good detail. That’s why I posted here.

I appreciate the feedback. I’ll start looking for a good looking Lyman.

Is there anything specific I need to look for in an original Lyman 55B?

TC

I has to get and install a Lyman sight on my rifle because it shot way low and to the left with the Kahr sight. After hogging out the base (for the counter sunk screws) it was a drop in. The Kahr base will not work with the lyman ladder - you must replace the whole unit. The stock sight is junk.

When I did the "1928 treatment" to my '27A1 I bought only the Lyman ladder and sight from Numrich. Descent price (about $100 if memory serves) and adapted right to the Kahr base. Well worth the investment. Not only does it look correct but is obviously superior quality when comparing the two...

Thanks for all of the input. I bought the $225 Lyman packed in grease. I’ll post some photos when it arrives as well as some post-clean up photos.

I hope to get my thompson this weeks so I can start the Form 1and get it converted over to an SBR and get the other mods done on it to make it a semi M1928 clone. The biggest thing left I need to purchase is a GI stock and horizontally grip with the associated hardware.

TC