Just Received My First Thompson !

Just received my 1927 A1 converted Thompson. Excited to share photos of this unique gun. Thank you Melvin for helping me with the purchase. I have some questions about magazines and drum operation but other than that I couldnt be more excited to join the club.

Wait time for form 4 was 77 days.

Edited by iamjosh12

Photos of form 4. Sub 90 days is coming up everywhere.

Not me, 10 months on my last transfer and currently 4 months and waiting on my current transfer. However very happy for folks who get approved under 90. I was told by the admin person answering the phone for ATF that they are now averaging 9 months, so at least a month got knocked down.

Edited by NFA amnesty

Just received my 1927 A1 converted Thompson. Excited to share photos of this unique gun. Thank you Melvin for helping me with the purchase. I have some questions about magazines and drum operation but other than that I couldnt be more excited to join the club.

Wait time for form 4 was 77 days.

Congrats on the purchase, very nice!!

Out of curiosity, what conversion method was used for this particular Thompson? I noticed a 28 frame with the front milled...? I assume a bolt (M1 style) was machined down to fit the profile height of the semi -receiver? Or is this a full-auto; volume XX book conversion? In any case, it looks good.

If you look at NFATracker, it appears that many Form 4s to individuals have gotten down to 90 days while Form 4 to trust are still at 300+ days. There may be a play to do a transfer to yourself as an individual and get possession then do another Form 4 to your trust. I think that you have to pay two transfer taxes but I have been waiting almost a year on $100k worth of guns and would have happily paid twice to get them last spring.

All my Form 4's are individual, not trust. I had a stamp approved in about 3.5 months back in 2002 and more recently (2017/2018) a 5 month approval on a Vepr 12 SBS.

Awesome if a lot of folks are getting approvals under 90 days. Hopefully the wait times are going down significantly but have a feeling my tax stamp will not get approved until I hit 8 to 9 months.

Edited by NFA amnesty

This was a bolt conversion. The receiver is registered but instead of altering any dimensions one the receiver, he milled the bolt down 1/4 down and made a custom buffer pilot in order to avoid drilling and welding the rear of the receiver. The advantage is no change to the receiver. The downside is that assembling it can be a bit difficult at times. It uses a 1928 bolt, but does use the blish lock systems. So it operates more like an M1 gun. The straight blow back also prevents issues that west hurleys have of misalignment. The gun has had about 500 rounds and no malfunctions. Extremely fast, probably 900 RPM but I prefer fast shooting guns :) If interested I can show how the conversion was done with some photos and videos.

This was a bolt conversion. The receiver is registered but instead of altering any dimensions one the receiver, he milled the bolt down 1/4 down and made a custom buffer pilot in order to avoid drilling and welding the rear of the receiver. The advantage is no change to the receiver. The downside is that assembling it can be a bit difficult at times. It uses a 1928 bolt, but does use the blish lock systems. So it operates more like an M1 gun. The straight blow back also prevents issues that west hurleys have of misalignment. The gun has had about 500 rounds and no malfunctions. Extremely fast, probably 900 RPM but I prefer fast shooting guns :) If interested I can show how the conversion was done with some photos and videos.

Would love to see some. Heard about it, but never saw one up close. Why does it run fast? Different springs?

My 28 WH has the 21internals I can swap out to increase ROF I have not tried them yet. Next time to the range though I will. 😎 a new toy is alway a fun time congratulations on your 1st one. Edited by Vettom