Hobby Protection Act of 1973

Some folks wonder whether any federal laws apply to reproduction items...particularly firearm related items. The quick answer is "No."

Laws regarding fraud could apply to reproduction items, but I've never heard of a situation where a perpetrator of a firearm reproduction item fraud was brought to justice. If anyone knows of such an instance, please post the details here. The best way to combat fraud involving firearm reproduction items is overall knowledge to avoid fraud in the first place, and also peer pressure, such as can be applied through collector groups, gun shows, etc.

When I first started looking into reproduction firearm items, I wondered about any applicable laws, and found none. What I did find is an interesting sidenote...Most political campaign collectibles, such as campaign buttons, posters, stickers, and certain coins, etc., that are related to political campaigns are subject to the Hobby Protection Act of 1973. This act came about because of concern about this collecting genre, and it was successfully passed through Congress, and signed by President Nixon. I've mentioned this to others in the past, and hardly anyone has heard of it before. Basically, it requires reproduction political campaign items to be clearly labeled as "REPRODUCTION." This is partly why I advocate the clear labeling of reproduction firearm items with a manufacturer ID and date.

Anyway, I thought folks who may see this new forum might be interested in hearing about the only law I'm aware of that specifically addresses reproduction collector items.

Does anyone know of any state or local ordinances that may apply to reproduction collector items, and whether they apply to firearm items, or not?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I have heard of it and have posted on this forum about it in the past.

You can blame people who demand accurate reproductions for this problem. They will not buy something "clearly" marked reproduction because it defeats the purpose in buying a highly accurate reproduction in the first place. It is something I deal with on a daily basis.

There is a clear distinction between a reproduction and a fake, it all lays with how it is sold.

"I've never heard of a situation where a perpetrator of a firearm reproduction item fraud was brought to justice."

I have, a number of years ago an individual was arrested for selling fake percussion era pistols. If I remember correctly he was charged with and convicted of fraud. He was a regular seller at the Alabama Gun Collectors Association show in Birmingham.

• 7 years later...

David, it's clear cut; Your industry association or the industry association that furthers the interests of  OEM parts houses drives this car.  Where are they in all this?

Also, a scam that is ongoing, and have victims that are screaming will be investigated by the FBI. Having been associated with a prosecutor's office, politics definitely had a hand on the tiller. I haven't met a single gun parts purchaser who wants to scream publicly about their parts being fraudulent.

You mentioned legislation, and asked about it.  That is an issue for your next association meeting.  At my association meeting, members bring up subjects of interest to the association to the board of directors at our quarterly meetings.  To be clear, the lack of legislation that protects your interests is the sole responsibility of your association.  That's how these laws are made, they are written by associations. My association has a long term contract with our guy on the hill.

Heaven help a fraudulent beanie baby ring.

Everyone knows American industry writes their own regulation, and those regulations written by interest groups otherwise known as industry  associations.

So David, for practical purposes, it seems like you need to graduate to trafficking guns to go "straight to jail".

Any hack would say the same thing, there should be a history of effort by the special interest group before you conclude you can't get legislation or prosecution.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/Useful-Links-d6.htm

I'm commenting because I worked on this as one person, like you and everyone else.

I contacted my  IT founder contact in California about no send scams, and from where he sits he thought it was a call for the FBI.

I found you can't get a package of people together for the FBI as an individual.  So a one person effort is hopless, but that's why special interest groups exist.