Is this one of those West Hurley buffers?

Yes it is a West Hurley Buffer as I am the seller of it and the listing has been updated to reflect as such. Thank you. Edited by mbc230

Even properly marked as an Auto-Ordnance West Hurley, New York, buffer pilot, a buyer may not know the dangers of a two piece buffer pilot. There are a lot of newbies in the Thompson community. My suggestion is to put it in a trash can or the bottom of a lake so it is out of circulation.

I have a pile of AOC WH parts that I display at some of the Thompson Shows. No one has ever wanted to purchase anything from the pile! There have been many a West Hurley buffer pilot exchanged for a USGI Savage one at these shows over the years.

I also recommend a polyurethane buffer disk, especially for the 1928 West Hurley Thompson guns. The ones from Diamond K Companies (PK.) are fantastic.

https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=224

• Upvote 1

Even properly marked as an Auto-Ordnance West Hurley, New York, buffer pilot, a buyer may not know the dangers of a two piece buffer pilot. There are a lot of newbies in the Thompson community. My suggestion is to put it in a trash can or the bottom of a lake so it is out of circulation.

I have a pile of AOC WH parts that I display at some of the Thompson Shows. No one has ever wanted to purchase anything from the pile! There have been many a West Hurley buffer pilot exchanged for a USGI Savage one at these shows over the years.

I also recommend a polyurethane buffer disk, especially for the 1928 West Hurley Thompson guns. The ones from Diamond K Companies (PK.) are fantastic.

I am going to leave it listed, but I going to change the description and advise that it is only a wall hanger and should not be used in a gun as a collector might want it, but I totally agree with you Tom. Thank you for the tip.

Edited by mbc230

I am going to leave it listed, but I going to change the description and advise that it is only a wall hanger and should not be used in a gun as a collector might want it, but I totally agree with you Tom. Thank you for the tip.

Thats why im looking at it as a curio piece of History.To have a specimen in the collection.When I asked it wasnt to actually use it as only GI is what ive ever heard.

Is that a modified West Hurley part as well? Looks like someone tried to make the two piece pilot into a quick change pilot. Where did it come from?

Good on you. When I first saw the listing I was thinking that this was a dangerous part that could get out and potentially hurt someone.

Also it helps protect you from liability if someone uses it and gets hurt.

Thinking about it, I've never seen the original.. Interesting to look at. Now I see how it could be a danger.

Good on you. When I first saw the listing I was thinking that this was a dangerous part that could get out and potentially hurt someone.

Also it helps protect you from liability if someone uses it and gets hurt.

Thinking about it, I've never seen the original.. Interesting to look at. Now I see how it could be a danger.

I am not 100% sure it would be on me anyway as I would not know how they would use it. If they installed it incorrectly or whatever the case maybe. I put it there, because I do not want anyone getting hurt as TD is completely right on the money with what he mentioned.

Edited by mbc230

I have a Diamond K’s WH but have to admit I thank goodness I have never seen a buffer like that!! I recall discussions about the 2 piece bolt carriers/slides whatever the nomenclature is I can not recall off hand. I bet I have a couple of those in the box though. This 2 piece buffer is nothing ever seen by me. I thought the buffer material was the most important thing until I saw this.

Mark