Public Relations

I took my m1a1 paperwork to get the Sheriff's sign off, but the paperwork wasn't all I brought in. I called him earlier and he remembered my 28a-1 purchase about a year ago. I asked him if he'd like to take a look, so I brought the Savage in the office with me. It sure looked good as I popped open that FBI case and assembled the stock and drum. We had a great time talking about machineguns and before it was over, the office was full of deputies, checking out the Thompson. The session ended with having his picture taken with the Thompson. That's the most fun I've had getting a transfer signed. The pubic relations didn't hurt our cause either. I just wanted to share a fun Thompson day with you guys.

I'll post the pictures as soon as I get copies. We do plan to get out for a drum dump sometimes soon.

That's part of the fun in being in the friendly NFA state of Tennessee. The Unicoi Sheriff's dept boys are probably pretty cool with that stuff. My sheriff here in Sullivan County usually takes 2 days to sign off, simply because of the size of the department.

GOOD DEAL!!! We've got to get together and burn some powder one day.

Ken

Here's to the great fellas at the Seveirville, Tennessee Sheriffs department also. I walked in to get my papers signed. He took one look at my NRA Life Member jacket I was wearing and told the receptionist to bring that straight to his desk and he'd sign it. About a 15 minute wait.

Same goes for the Knoxville Police Department. A few years ago I had been to a friends farm to shoot some assault rifles. On the way home I got t-boned by a drunk which flipped my jeep slinging some 8 assault rifles all over the road right downtown Knoxville. I was pinned under the jeep. I came to in the hospital and remembered my guns. I called my father and asked him to go down to the Police Department to see if they had all the guns and if they would let me have the guns back. I had my doubts since I knew I had left one rifle with rounds in the mag (I always keep something nearby with rounds in the mag just in case). The Knoxville Police Department turned the rifles over to my dad. They did unload the one rifle, but no problems getting em back. And to my surprise I had minimum damage to the guns. Most were in hard cases but my HK 91 was in a soft case and ended up with a dented mag. (Inventory: 1- M1a; 3 - ak variants;1- HK 91; 1- Belgium Fal; 1- AR 15; 1- Car 15.)

It's great to have common sense law enforcement.

Oh, and the drunk who hit me was a hit and run. They caught him a week later when they found his Mercedes convertible hidden under a tarp in a parking lot downtown Knoxville. A piece of signal light cover the officer had picked up at my accident site matched the busted one on the Mercedes perfectly. Nice bit of police work.

Now that's a cool story!!

I had a similar experience only yesterday, Friday.

I have just finished assembling a rather nice 1928A1 which is made up from parts I picked up at the TCA show in Fairfax last month and a receiver and barrel I had obtained locally here in New Zealand.

I had to take the completed gun over to the local Police station to get the Transfer of the receiver into my name.

I could not find my usual gun bag and looked around the gun room for something to put the gun in and remembered that I had an old violin case that I had bought some time ago to make up a display case but my 1921's would not fit into the case because of the vertical forgrip.

This latest 1928 however, has a horizontal foregrip and it fitted nicely so off I go to the cops with the Thompson in the violin case.

I will leave the rest to your imagination but I dam near got locked up.

They thought it was a great joke and as only gangsters would have a"Tommy guns" in violin case , then I should naturally be locked up.

I only just escaped! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Good work Sgt! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif "It is," to quote Chekov from the original Star Trek series, "always important to maintain good relations with the natives." http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif This way no one has an excuse to 'go native' or 'postal' or otherwise become unreasonably emotional. You have established a positive rapport and acted as a goodwill ambassador between the civillian shooting community and law enforcement. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif We should all strive to follow your excellent example, for our own good as individuals and for the good of the nation. Who knows, we may, in the process, make a friend or two. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter