What Would You Choose? - WWII Weapons

sadly, most people i know didn't have a clue what a BAR was until they watched that train wreck Saving private ryan.

Modern day weapon to have back then would be an integrally suppressed 10/22 with mags and about 3000 rounds.

sadly, most people i know didn't have a clue what a BAR was until they watched that train wreck Saving private ryan.

Modern day weapon to have back then would be an integrally suppressed 10/22 with mags and about 3000 rounds.

I watched Kirby carry one on Combat in the mid 60's

I think the China Marines had them back then, not sure of the exact year adopted.

The BAR is cool, but in whatever conflict I found myself, I'd choose something a bit lighter if I had to move fast.

And Custer should have used a Winchester, but that's another story ;)

I think the China Marines had them back then, not sure of the exact year adopted.

The BAR is cool, but in whatever conflict I found myself, I'd choose something a bit lighter if I had to move fast.

I remember the twilight zone or outer limits episode where the tanks went back in time and they had to decide if they should help Custer or would it have changed history. They eventually went to help but only carried their small arms. Their names were later found on the monument of the dead. Really cool episode.

Eric

M1 Garand.

i can acquire and hit targets just as fast as i can w/ my thompson. sure i cant shoot 3-4 bullets into each, but with a 30-06 1 shot is all thats needed

i doubt in ww2 soldiers had an issue with only 10 rounds. its not like Korea with human waves coming up a hill at you.

if you had 10 targets to shoot in 30 seconds, odds are 1 of those targets would shoot you before you got all 10

thompson would be great at short distances, but id prefer to keep my enemy further than 25-50 yards from myself.

for WW3 id pick none...id take a semi AR and maybe my Mac 11a1 on a shoulder holster

Edited by huggytree

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Steve McQueen was a Marine, and I sure he delighted in having the "sailors" carry the BAR. He certainly was not a sissy, hence his time doing his own stunts including jumping over the fence in The Great Escape. Marines who carried the BARs loved them, and at least one, Red Mike Edson tried unsuccessfully to have it cut down for the Raiders. He had used them in Nicaragua, back then they had single and full auto. Bill Lee loved the BAR. It was all relative. Up until the BAR, they humped Lewis guns. The BAR with a Bipod on from the prone is a thousand meter accurate rifle. It was also the the centerpiece of the Fire Team, and that is why there is an assistant Bar man. He carried extra mags and handed them to the BAR gunner.

The 1917 enfield was carried by the Raiders in WWII and preferred over the springfield due to the better sight. Since the Raiders grabbed Garands anytime they could get them, that indicates to me semi-auto and faster reloads were welcomed, although you could not single round the Garand.

The BAR is light if you ever humped a M60. All things are relative. The ideal gun for me would have been the cut down BAR. I am sure it was still 15 pounds or so, but firepower and fast reloads count. Plus when you fire that at someone with a 16 inch barrel it sounds like a cannon going off. Intimidating to say the least. One of the state reasons Edson liked that for jungle fighting.

Steve McQueen was a Marine, and I sure he delighted in having the "sailors" carry the BAR. He certainly was not a sissy, hence his time doing his own stunts including jumping over the fence in The Great Escape.

Sandman, believe it or not, Steve McQueen never made that fence jump in "The Great Escape". Rather it was Stuntman Bud Ekins who made that jump in a souped up Triumph. Ekins was the owner of a motorcycle shop in Sherman Oaks Ca. and a competitive racer who became great friends with McQueen. McQueen asked him to stunt double for him on this film. He dyed his hair blond and from a distance you couldn't tell them apart. He also doubled for McQueen in "Bullitt" where he did much of the driving in the Mustang and was the fellow driving the motorcycle who had to lay down his bike during the chase scene. MH

Jump.jpg

Interesting, I know I have read somewhere that McQueen did that jump, but then again, never believe anything you hear, and only half of what you personally see! Thanks for the inside scoop!

Here is a photo of "if you could pick one"... Cut Down BAR.jpg

Heavy enough to handle, light enough to carry, but yes ammo is a bear.

Here is what I DID carry, (2004 Ramadi Iraq) with ACOG, at the time gear was changing at the rapid rate. I wore my flack jacket under my blouse so I could use the pockets. I was carrying 7 x 30 round mags, 4 x 20 round mags and three 10 round mags for my springfield ultra compact. And no, I wasn't in a "normal" unit... we painted our gear which is why you have to look hard to see the ACOG and The 45 immediatly above my Randall, which by the way, didn't get painted by mistake. I wore the randall on my "belt" in my pants and not on the cartridge belt, so I would always have it if we have to rip off our gear. Had the 30 round mags on the web gear, the 20 round mags on a pistol belt, and the Randall on my pants belt.

Later after some guys drowned when their HUMMVs or Helos went down in ditches or water I no longer wore my flack jacket under my blouse.

Sandman1957.jpg IZ camo Gear.jpg

For all you who love to look at gear... what kind of 45 magazine single pouch is that? Cardboard and riggers tape!

And Yes real toilet paper was worth its weight in diamonds!!

Ok , he shoulda used a Winchester BAR then . :happy:

He'd have been better off using his head. Dividing your already small force into 5 separate elements and attacking an enemy force of unknown size without prior reconnaissance is not generally considered a formula for success.