1921 Colt Parts Kit

I inherited a complete very early 1921 Colt Parts kit. All the parts are there except the receiver and barrel which were destroyed decades ago. All the parts are original as far as I can tell. I need advice from the experts on this as I have never seen a early 1921 parts kit for sale. I know the stock alone can be worth at least 4K or more, but have no idea about the value of the complete lower and bolt. I will post pictures if needed. All the parts are in excellent condition. Thank You.

Yes you will need to post photos. If not we are unable to provide you any input. Welcome to the forum. What is the serial number on the bottom of the lower receiver?

Sandman1957

Hi jvall1201,

Welcome to the Thompson forum.

You have definitely inherited a nice piece of history. All 15,000 Colt's are known by serial number. A picture of the complete serial number will be a must when marketing these parts. Unfortunately, you are missing the most desirable and expensive part - the barrel. So you really don't have a complete parts kit. That said, lets take a look at what you have.

Wood - all the wood appears refinished and sanded to me. That will have a huge impact on value and desirability. You need to post two more pictures of the buttstock. One showing the slide stock assembly from the top where it attaches to the frame. The other of the wood in front of the slide stock assembly to ascertain whether the Remington anchor mark is still visible.

Bolt - I find it interesting how someone tried to peen the hammer pin in place. This will definitely impact value and desirability. You need to post a picture of the rear of the bolt.

Blish lock - this is the bronze H shaped part. You need to post a picture of the UP and arrow markings. Also post pictures of both sides of the ears.

Actuator - appears to be a very nice piece. Post close up pictures of the cocking ears from the right and left sides. Also post a picture from the front. This will tell what actuator variation you have.

Magazine - post a picture of the front of the magazine. This will tell what magazine variation you have.

I find it interesting how the defacement of the frame serial number with the front screw head from the butt stock appears blue in color. Same with the dents on the magazine catch and pivot plate. It makes me wonder if this Colt's was re-blued sometime in the past. Given the refinished wood, that is strong possibility. Re-blued parts do not usually obtain top prices.

I will let others join in. There is a lot of expertise on this forum.

jvall1201,

The barrel was manufactured by Savage Arms during World War II. If there is no depression or line through the compensator threads (from the compensator pin) then it is most likely a spare parts barrel that was never installed. If a line or depression is present in the compensator threads, then it most likely has been removed from a Thompson gun. Either way, depending on the condition of the bore, it does have value (but nothing like an original Colt's barrel).

Unfortunately, I do not see the anchor mark on the butt stock. All the wood appears to have been sanded and refinished sometime in the past. The butt plate looks pretty nice, again making me suspect it has been refinished in the past. Now, that is just a suspicion based on pictures. An in-person examination may yield a different opinion. I have no idea as to the value for a sanded and refinished wood set - but it does have value.

The 1921 actuator appears to be what I would call a second variation. It looks nice in pictures. The bolt is definitely a Colt's but the area around the hammer pin gives me pause for concern. The Blish lock looks good.

All the parts have value, especially the internal parts in the frame. I am not sure what a complete or stripped early Colt's frame is worth with a defaced serial number. Do not attempt to take apart the frame unless you know what you are doing. You do not want to learn on a early Colt's frame.

If you post the city and state where you live, one of the knowledgeable forum members may live close by and agree to perform an in-person examination of your parts. To obtain fair pricing, potential customers are going to have to believe you are a real person and actually have the parts. If you live close to the Ohio area, you could join one of the Thompson organizations and attend a Show & Shoot later this summer. There is a lot of cash and carry sales of parts at these events. And you will have a great time! Or you could try gunbroker.com or Sturmgewehr.com.

Hopefully the seller considers making a donation to the board owner, dalbert for this sale since he likely did not have permission to actually sell the kit on here per the forum rules and is not paying a commission like all other sale avenues would take.

Ron

• Upvote 2