History's Mysterys Discovery Channel

chitowngangster,

If you get a chance, watch the recent Discovery Channel documentary regarding the victim's wounds. It was one of the more interesting portions of the show, at least to me. I spent the majority of my police career as a crime scene investigator and detective, so I was particularly interested in this topic. Based on the way the victim's were falling during the shooting, several of the entry wounds were in areas one wouldn't initially suspect since the victim's had their backs to the killers. John May, in particular, had several wounds at various angles as he fell backwards. Since he is the one in the crime photos with the side of his head blown off, everyone presumes only a shot gun blast could create such damage. During the reconstruction they used the actual autopsy sketches to determine the wound positions and their origins. May had a single entry wound to the rear left side of his head. During the fall, with the body moving, and the bullet possibly deflecting after penetrating the skull, the side of the head could be removed upon exit. In my opnion, it is entirely possible that a single .45 slug at the right angle, and at close range, could do such damage.

The shotguns used had pellets, as opposed to slugs, based on the pellets removed from Schwimmer's back (he was standing next to May). The photo evidence doesn't appear to me that May was hit in the face and side of the head with shotgun pellets. It would seem there would be more powder stipling or tattooing on May's face and forehead. It's hard to tell from the pictures, though.

Just my opinion on the matter.

QUOTE (gijive @ Apr 5 2004, 06:34 AM)
chitowngangster,

If you get a chance, watch the recent Discovery Channel documentary regarding the victim's wounds. It was one of the more interesting portions of the show, at least to me. I spent the majority of my police career as a crime scene investigator and detective, so I was particularly interested in this topic. Based on the way the victim's were falling during the shooting, several of the entry wounds were in areas one wouldn't initially suspect since the victim's had their backs to the killers. John May, in particular, had several wounds at various angles as he fell backwards. Since he is the one in the crime photos with the side of his head blown off, everyone presumes only a shot gun blast could create such damage. During the reconstruction they used the actual autopsy sketches to determine the wound positions and their origins. May had a single entry wound to the rear left side of his head. During the fall, with the body moving, and the bullet possibly deflecting after penetrating the skull, the side of the head could be removed upon exit. In my opnion, it is entirely possible that a single .45 slug at the right angle, and at close range, could do such damage.

The shotguns used had pellets, as opposed to slugs, based on the pellets removed from Schwimmer's back (he was standing next to May). The photo evidence doesn't appear to me that May was hit in the face and side of the head with shotgun pellets. It would seem there would be more powder stipling or tattooing on May's face and forehead. It's hard to tell from the pictures, though.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Thank-you Gijive! very interesting indeed, i will get a look at it(Documentary) when it appears here in June.What you said makes a lot of sense.

Mario